New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's it take to create a 427??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 12:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's it take to create a 427??

Hello to all the members I an a new ls1 owner. Just bought one two days ago. Anyways I ran into a local guy that claimed he had a 427 LS1. The thing was absolutely awesome and I am addicted to it. But of course the guy kept tight lipped about it and didn't tell me anything about it. I'm unfortunately into the "no torque" import industry but I'm finding out real quick it's no fun. I'm mostly a v6 striaght 6 and 4 cyl man. But no Honda's for me so don't bash me LOL!

Well back to the subject does anybody sell a kit for a 427? What parts make it a 427, is it the combination bore that needs to be done and the cam?

If you can't buy a kit what kind of parts are you 427 guy's running. I want the thing to scream but no power adder's, NO FI HERE! What kind of computer tuning need's to be done? Is there a stand alone available for the ls1?

Thanks for any help and I hope I don't sound to stupid being a newbie! I've searched the forums a little and found nothing that really helped me out!

Thanks -Scot-
Old 04-20-2004, 04:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Now I know why no one has responded. Most of your questions are basic engine knowledge that you should know, if you don't, you need to search a lot more.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:27 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robzilla
Now I know why no one has responded. Most of your questions are basic engine knowledge that you should know, if you don't, you need to search a lot more.
What kind of a welcome is this?!

Hey, info on the MTI (Sponsor who's banner is over there---->) 427 buildup process is written in some great articles in the last few GMHP Magazine issues.

It involves bore of aftermarket sleeves, a Lunati Crank for stroke, and upgraded rods, etc. It's not cheap, but is a solid engine that makes low 500rwhp naturally aspirated.

Wecome aboard.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to the muscle world.. Well the 427 is "The ROCK " of the LS1's. 12000 to 15000 for one. + a truckload of other bolt ons.
Keep on reading a lot, learn to identify parts and soon you'll be hooked on LS1 tech.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Call up MTI or Click on thier banner, Talk to Jayson...rob mom's account for somewhere in the neiborhood of 25K by the time it's all done, and drop your new found love off at the shop for about a month or just at 6 weeks. Get the call to come pick it up...bring a couple extra towels...u'll need'em trust me. Pick up car after Jaysons done taking you for a test run in the parking lot...at this point you'll be hugging and telling Jayson you love him and u are ready to have his kids....get in the car, pull out onto Dairy Ashford, get stuck at the damn light at Westhiemer but you don't car cause just the rumble of the 427 has caused you to "Mess" 1 towel already.....lights green.....your stuck behind some old lady pullin in that damn Krogers...she clears and you realize your in 2nd gear but whatever your just havin fun....and you punch it. Now....when you punch it a couple things happen...your brain releases more "Pleasure" endorphines than you ever thought it could causing you to nearly have a siezure....and at the same time causing you to realize you need a new seat and you've just used up those last 2 towels.

That's about what goes into getting a 427 from MTI.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:43 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hehe, Josey, you've been dreamin' a bit too much....

Also, make sure you have a 12 bolt, 9" or 8.8" rear end that won't grenade with the newfound torque.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Hehe, Josey, you've been dreamin' a bit too much....

Also, make sure you have a 12 bolt, 9" or 8.8" rear end that won't grenade with the newfound torque.
Well I love my Formula now w/thier H/C in it....I did all the work, but man when Jayson was done tuning it and I came to pick it up....ahhhh....I must've put over 200 miles on her b4 I got home that day...
Old 04-20-2004, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok all correct me if iam wrong but din't the ls1 have clearence issues, and if so how is it possible to re-sleeve it. just curious.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zamboxl
ok all correct me if iam wrong but din't the ls1 have clearence issues, and if so how is it possible to re-sleeve it. just curious.
Praise the God of Darton Sleeves that he may cometh upon us and we shall have 427's, 434's, and whatever we mayeth desire!
Old 04-20-2004, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JoSeY
Praise the God of Darton Sleeves that he may cometh upon us and we shall have 427's, 434's, and whatever we mayeth desire!
Old 04-20-2004, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

It was a joke....

Darton is a company that produces Hi Strength Sleeves for the LS1 motor's so we have enough clearence..
Old 04-20-2004, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JoSeY
It was a joke....

Darton is a company that produces Hi Strength Sleeves for the LS1 motor's so we have enough clearence..
o sweet man i really need to catch up on my info
Old 04-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Alright guys, thanks for the responses I really appreciate it. By the way this wont be going into a camaro unfortunately! I just bought the LS1 motor + T56 tranny. Now with my searching I'm seeing that the 427 is with a c5R block. Which runs a godly $6,000 alone. Is that what I need to build this 427 with that block? I was under the impression that you can make a 427 with the stock block! Or am I just an idiot newbie. I apologize in advance to my ignorance for these motors.

If the C5R block is what I need Is it any difference in size? I'm referring to the dimension outside the block? Is it a long block, short block, or the same size as a 350 just with all the goodies you can do?

Thanks,

-Scot-
Old 04-20-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

You dont have to have a CR Block.......You can use the stock block, but you have to get sleeves put in....These sleeves allow you to have a bigger bore.....

Hope this helps

Oh, BTW: Welcome
Old 04-20-2004, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok, here you go guys, this coming from the 18 year old! haha

With the ls1/6 block, you will need to resleeve the block, because there is not enough clearance/cylinder wall to bore out of the block. the final bore after being sleeved is 4.125 inches. the crank will be replaced with a more then likely FORGED crank for strenth, it is stroke will be moved to a 4" stroke! if you do that math, that will give you 427 cubic inches.

Cam wise, you can go anything from mild to wild, as long as you have the right setup with the Heads, cam, Compression and everything else. The C5-r is like to be used because it is strong, all aluminun, and does not need to be Sleeved, which makes it stronger because that is one less part that might not fail on the motor! the problem is that sleeves can drop in the ls1/6 427's and when that happenes, it can damage the whole motor.

they are very costly, but almost all of the sponsors here on the site build a 427 so just give MTI, HPE, FUTURAL, and many others a call, and they can help you out even further. I hope this post helps you guys out!

Josey, BTW nice having Craigs beater car in your sig. for he has one of the nice LS1 427's for you other guys who do not know this.

Gray