Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems with my car!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question problems with my car!

coming home from work today and smelled something burnig like plastic. Thought it was something outside the car and the air smelled clean. Mind you I was cruising at sixty-five going down the highway. Figured I would pull off and investigate further. As I was pulling off the highway the insturment cluster went dead and I mean the entire thing. The car was running fine and continue to run till I shut it off. I let it idle for minute sounded fine. So I shut it off checked under the hood nothing smoking. The smell of burning plastic semmed to come from the two fuse blocks by the left headlight. could see any blown fuses or anything. Went back to the car to try and start it and there was nothing no click nothing but the radio worked and windows rolled down and up just fine. It is currently sitting at a dealership and they won't be able to look at it till monday. Just wanted to here what you might think it is. Maybe it happened to some out there just thought I would ask.

2001 pewter T/A A4
SLP LM, 85mm MAF
1/4: 13.806 mph:102.68 (1st time out)
Old 04-23-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

the hot lead must have shorted under the fuse box
Old 04-27-2004, 07:56 AM
Teching In

What ended up being the problem? Is it all fixed?
Old 04-28-2004, 05:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have that same problem now, I started smelling it a few days ago. It smells either like a plastic bag on the exhaust or wiring, Checked out the car and found nothing. Let us know, im interested to find out whats causing this smell.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Got the car back last night from the dealer. The problem was a bunch of broken wires. That is what the service guy told me now here is what the records they gave me say.
Customer states that there was something burning shut the car down and will not start. No crank ck&advise pn u1000andu1096 present checked for power at the s terminal while cranking check for power at the starter fuse while cranking. Did not find power at the starter/relay in the under hood fuse block. Jumped the terminals at relay and the starter engaged from the BCM. No power from the BCM. Checked fuses and founf the gauges fuse blown. Replace the fuse and the fuse reblows 5 minutes later. Traced the wires from the fuse block to different modules found a short circuit in 39, wiring harnesscontacting the brake control module braket. Repaired the wires and test drove no problems.
So there it is even though it is going back in monday to my local dealer for some other issues that need addressing before the warranty runs out.