New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slightly different cam advise needed....

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 01:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Question Slightly different cam advise needed....

I am currently building a kit car.

The engine is a Chevy Gen.III L33 5.3 all alloy engine from a Silverado with 799 heads. The core engine is stock. Compression as standard I believe is 9.9:1. The only mods I have made are swapping the truck intake to an LS6 intake plus the addition of a ported LS6 throttle body. The car will have custom made 4-1 manifolds.

The car is rear wheel drive with Tremec 5 speed transmission and the car total weight is 750kg.

The car will be used as a weekend fun car on the road plus some track days.

I would like to have good torque in the midrange and upper rpm range.

Given the light weight of my car I think I can get away with losing some of the low end torque and shifting it up to the mid and high range as it shouldn't take a lot to get the car going.

I would appreciate it if you could advise as to what came you think would be suitable and what springs. Plus I want to avoid having to take the springs out after a short period to replace them. I have read a lot of pages on here but for the most part they don't tend to deal with such a light car and this is why I hope some of you cam experts can help. I had thought that the 224 cam would be suitable but having read some more on the type of lobes I wonder if this'll mean pulling the heads off to change springs more often, plus would I need double springs instead of singles.

Many thanks
Old 07-03-2013, 03:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Custom cam speced out is the way to go I believe. The 224 cam is more low end to midrange then what I think your looking for. I would go into the 230s maybe 240s depending on how aggressive u want to go. I would upgrade springs no matter what. Singles are cheaper but doubles are more reliable and worth the money to me. I got a 230/237 cam from Geoff and I am extremely satisfied with it. If anything I might of wanted to go bigger. This cam was made for mostly mid range power. I ran double springs for insurance. Don't forget to do timing chain lifters and lifter trays while your down there. I would even do an oil pump
Old 07-03-2013, 03:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some cams are more aggressive on springs than others. I know the torquer series specifically the the torquer v3 is hard on springs.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Codytaylor90
Custom cam speced out is the way to go I believe. The 224 cam is more low end to midrange then what I think your looking for. I would go into the 230s maybe 240s depending on how aggressive u want to go. I would upgrade springs no matter what. Singles are cheaper but doubles are more reliable and worth the money to me. I got a 230/237 cam from Geoff and I am extremely satisfied with it. If anything I might of wanted to go bigger. This cam was made for mostly mid range power. I ran double springs for insurance. Don't forget to do timing chain lifters and lifter trays while your down there. I would even do an oil pump
Thanks for the reply :-)

The 'Geoff' you referred to is that the Geoff from Tick Performance?

I have the engine in bits. Lifters look perfect with no signs of wear. I do plan on changing the cam, pushrods and springs.
I read so many conflicting comments on whether to use single or double springs its hard to know what to do!

I'll look at the cam spec you suggested.

Thanks again.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like a fun car.Geoff owns EPS ,dose great custom cams.you don't need to remove the heads to change valve springs.looking for more top end power will be easier on your rear end.the cam lobe type will determine your valve spring needs.alot of good cams will work with a good single beehive spring.you will need better push rods.consider a ls2 timing chain.you can get a custom cam from several people on this forum,they cost $25 more then a self cam.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the reply.

I have read that a lot of people recommend changing the timing chain and more often than not suggest the Ls2 chain. Why is this? whats different about the Ls2 chain? and is it just the chain that needs to be changed or the sprockets as well?

With a cam in the range that you suggested (230/237), am I likely to run into emissions problems?

I have looked at some cams in this range and they all appear to shift the rpm range up as well to over 7000 in a lot of cases. I don't plan on revving the engine higher than that.

I now have some concerns about emissions with a bigger cam so it's something I have got to look into.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Slightly different cam advise needed....