New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lil advice needed...thanks

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lil advice needed...thanks

I have a chance to get into a decent starter car IMHO...I love the Ls1 series of engines but am new to them...This is whats done to the car

1999 TA 72k miles...Stage II ported heads, FMS cam 228/232-585/595 113+1, Lingenfelter ported intake, hooker long tubes, comp R lifters, 4l60e with a 3500 stall and shift kit, stock 10 bolt with 4.10s...most everything else rails, injectors throttle body, ignition is stock. Shes black with Ttops, ws6 wheels and ram air hood...few nicks and scraps in the nose and back bumper but overall gorgeous 10 footer.

My concerns...shes been in storage for almost 7 years but its been started every other month or so. She runs and drives but kinda rough and is picky about weather...I was told it needs new O2 sensors and has a pending code but no check engine light is on...he had some scan tool??...Also mentioned the tune needs to be updated??? but car used to run and drive and even had some strip time after the mods were done and it ran flawlessly...which doesn't make sense to me...a tune is a tune correct....could this be something much much worse...like failing engine components/blown head gasket etc...

Questions...Are these engine components somewhat matched correctly...not just a bunch of left overs/swap meet parts thrown together? Whats a good tuning program/s for a novice? Am I getting took at 6800 or is that a pretty fair deal for whats done even with it not running totally correct? And finally any other things to ask...they say she has around 450whp and has run a best of 11.33 back in the day, but like I said has been in storage since 2006
Old 09-10-2013, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

At 6,800 it should have the kinks out.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:58 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,279 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Nasty Duece
My concerns...shes been in storage for almost 7 years but its been started every other month or so.
7 years worth of cold starts without proper warm-up driving certainly isn't the best storage program.

She runs and drives but kinda rough and is picky about weather...I was told it needs new O2 sensors and has a pending code but no check engine light is on...he had some scan tool??...Also mentioned the tune needs to be updated??? but car used to run and drive and even had some strip time after the mods were done and it ran flawlessly...
There should be no need for an updated tune if nothing has been changed with the setup. There may be nothing wrong with the O2 sensors either. How old is the gas? That might be causing all the issues at this point.

Hard to assign value to a modified car with potential problems and without seeing it in person.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

For 6,800 ill keep looking or have him fix the issues.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

...I was told it needs new O2 sensors and has a pending code but no check engine light is on...he had some scan tool??...
Most scan tools, even the cheap ones, will clear the stored codes and reset the check engine light. Even my $40 one will.

He may be just clearing the codes and turning off the light while he is selling the car. And then you buy it and the light sets and stores codes that you can read and really find out what you've got. It could take a few drives before a code is stored.

I am not saying that is the case here, but be aware that the codes can be easily cleared and the light turned off. Buyer beware and all that.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

tune could be a shitty one, old gas, maf, 02 sensors, check all those before going any further
Old 09-11-2013, 08:05 PM

thanks a lot for the info guys...appreciate it. And that's why I posted here...im such a rookie when it comes to the LS engines...gimmie a carbed pre 80s mill and im golden...lol

few other questions do the parts that are listed in it seem on the level...meaning have folks around here used them brands...and do they seem to all match...I don't want a cam for high rpms and a manifold that's not etc...

My purpose for this is Id like to do a forced induction build, but I don't wanna rip apart my 67 deuce and put an LS with a turbo or procharger....figured if I could keep the bill under 7 for a mildly built bird or camaro with the 5.7 ls Id have a good starting platform...

that's what I was hoping this bird was/is....thanks

Quick Reply: lil advice needed...thanks