Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 years without an fbody, getting another one

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 years without an fbody, getting another one

Hi guys, haven't posted much even when I had my old 00 TA, mainly because I never got around to mods. Then I sold it when I bought a house...

Now I'm looking at a 98 NBM Z28 A4 w/149k, one owner. It's bone stock except for a moser 12 bolt that was installed at 80k. The outside has one scrape, and needs a good wax job. Driver's leather has one rip, but the dash isn't cracked.. The AC doesn't work, they replaced the compressor last year but it didn't work even after that, so I'm figuring in $400-500 in parts(I work in parts which helps) It drives great, and shifts nice. Oil was clean and they have a stack of paperwork for maintenance. They want $4100

Anything inparticular to look for in a higher mileage LS car? Besides the basics? I started it cold, and it was very quiet(no slap or ticks). Is that 4L60 on it's way out at that mileage? I'm probably picking it up tomorrow and would appreciate some pointers!

Thanks!!
Old 09-25-2013, 10:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,103 Posts

I'm wondering why it needed a 12-bolt at 80k? A stock A4 that's driven like a normal car should never *need* an axle upgrade. Maybe a leaking pinion seal was left unchecked and the diff. was run low on fluid, then a 12 bolt was selected as a replacement in preparation for a build that never materialized? That would seem reasonable. I'd want to know more about that situation though.

As for the trans, depending on how it was driven and maintained it might need a rebuild in the next few thousand miles or it might go another 50k. Hard to tell. I'd ask about fluid/filter maintenance though, and check the color and smell of the fluid on the dipstick.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I'm wondering why it needed a 12-bolt at 80k? A stock A4 that's driven like a normal car should never *need* an axle upgrade. Maybe a leaking pinion seal was left unchecked and the diff. was run low on fluid, then a 12 bolt was selected as a replacement in preparation for a build that never materialized? That would seem reasonable. I'd want to know more about that situation though.

As for the trans, depending on how it was driven and maintained it might need a rebuild in the next few thousand miles or it might go another 50k. Hard to tell. I'd ask about fluid/filter maintenance though, and check the color and smell of the fluid on the dipstick.
Kind of thought the same thing.. The guy is a older hot-rod dude that knew that the 10-bolts are weaksauce. His friend apparently has a shop, and gave him a good deal on the moser.

I'll def check the trans fluid, the dipstick didn't want to come out for me the other day when I looked at it. I will do a fluid exchange on everything once it's mine anyway. Plus, a guy locally will does 4L60 builds for $500 parts n labor, with better internals so I'm not worried; at the same time I'll be putting in a stall.

Quick Reply: 2 years without an fbody, getting another one