New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traded for a 02 Trans Am.."issues"

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traded for a 02 Trans Am.."issues"

OK guys, first post and need a little help. Just picked up a new to me 02 Trans Am. 105k miles, automatic. I dislike automatics but I am paralyzed in left arm so its easier to drive. Now for the issues....Car is all stock except has a WS6 hood, and the muffler was cut out. Still has factory man&cats. The motor has a miss or vibration to it. while in park or neutral, raise the RPM's to about 1200 and you can feel it vibrate in steering wheel like something out of balance or a miss.. No engine codes are being thrown. I changed plugs.. No change.. OBD2 shows nothing.. My buddy hooked his laptop to it, showed bad rear o2 sensor. the front readings and rear were never in sync with each other. Would that cause a miss? I know o2 sensors make minor adjustments within a certain RPM range but would it cause this? Very annoying!!!! Ideas? advise? Thanks

Also when I was detailing the car right after I got it I noticed in the driver side back seat floor had oil all the carpet. Seems like clean unused oil, but not sure. Engine bay is super clean,,{on top side} but after getting under the car, everything pretty wet. looks like probable pan gasket, could me more....But the question is....Any way that the oil in floor is related? or is it just a probable spill in the floor?
thanks again
Old 11-23-2013, 07:20 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Yep, the oil on the rear floor wouldn't be related to any leakage from the powertrain unless there is a hole in the floor.

You have to determine if there really is a miss or it is simply a vibration. A friend's LS1 will vibrate the steering wheel strongly when raising the rpm while sitting. There is no miss; we've been through every kind of diagnostic imaginable. The engine's just kind of rough.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Try cleaning the MAF sensor to smooth things out. Sometimes these engines just feel a little rough. Mine use to do the same thing your talking about at 2000 RPMs, that was the only RPM that it would do that. I have since seafoamed the tank, changed the fuel filter, switched back to paper filter, and cleaned the MAF and intake. I havent even thought about it until i read your post and I cant even remember how long its been since it was doing that.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

There is no way to get engine oil onto the rear floor boards unless someone just spilled a can there.

I would second cleaning the MAF sensor. You have changed the plugs, did you also put new wires on? If the original plug wire are still on after 105k miles I would change them, if only to eliminate them as a source of the problem.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a misfire issue after headers were installed and turned out I had a broken coolant temp sensor. You have stock manifolds so not a high chance it's broken but you never know. So check that, and check all your other sensors too.

Quick Reply: Traded for a 02 Trans Am.."issues"