Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this on my PCM??

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default What is this on my PCM??

Obviously a Newb question. Been a car nut all my life, but new to the LS1. 2000 Camaro SS M6. What does the piece that says Jet Programmable PCM mean? I understand all PCM's are programmable with the right equipment and know-how. I just don't know what the function of this thing is. I searched but I could not find the answer.
Attached Thumbnails What is this on my PCM??-2014-01-11-11.59.22-600x800-.jpg  
Old 01-11-2014, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a basically a module/chip from Jet performance. It changes the tune to gain a little performance. Can you see a part#.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:21 PM
Teching In

There's nothing visible without unplugging the PCM. I'll try that and re-post. I plan on getting a custom tune to get rid of check engine lights for reasons pertaining to mods done by the previous owner and to get rid of the pesky skip-shift. Will I need to get rid of the Jet plug-in if I do this? One is a driveability tune and the other is a "power tune" but I didn't know if they would conflict. Also, is anyone familiar with the below tuner. He may even be on this forum, but I just wanted to check to see if anyone has used him before.

http://www.lt1pcmtuning.com/service/
Old 01-11-2014, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about him, but I can recommend http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/. Just had mine done by him earlier this month. I did the mail order tune, it was on its way back to me the same day I sent it in. Got it two days later and it runs a lot smoother now, no dyno numbers but you can definitely feel a difference. Way better then the Hypertech tune that it had before.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get rid of the chip and get a real tune, the chips used to be somewhat popular, but they can only do so much, nothing compared to a real tune.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, that's what I figured. It came with the car and I had just spotted it. I probably will go with tuning by frost, it looks to be a better value than the one I had asked about. I saw a post on another forum about doing everyone a favor and burning the stupid chip then burying the ashes. I may just take that advice.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, blast from the past! Those mail order "jet" "hypertech" chips were hook up back in the day. With custom tunes now though, I'm surprised any chip company is still in business.

Quick Reply: What is this on my PCM??