Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random misfire in multiple cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random misfire in multiple cylinders

I first got a misfire in cyl #8 several months ago (right after the warranty expired, go figure!). So I changed the plugs (NGK TR-55's), and checked the wires (Accell race 8.8's). that wasn't the problem. Shortly after I did that I started getting the "cruise control effect" so I pulled the IAC and cleaned it and the passegeway, temporary fix it started doing it again tonite. While I had the hood open I decided to swap the #8 and the #4 injectors, this had no effect on the miss except to cause it to go from a single misfire in cyl 8 to a general random misfire in multiple cylinders. I only get a code at WOT in the higher rpm's 5k and above and its usually just a flashing SES, the light only stays on if I ignore the SES and keep running at wot. I also get a noticeable loss of power between 5-6k rpm's, it lags then kicks back in just a bit before the rev limiter.. usually. I don't KNOW if it is misfiring at idle, but I suspect it is as the idle isnt smooth, its kinda jerky and you can see the motor jerk to the side every 10 - 15 seconds and the exhaust note will stumble, but no codes.
Now for the question... CAN ANYBODY HELP ME?!?!? PLEASE?
P.S. Two other things, This all started occuring much more frequently after my TSP lid install, and I believe it started after I installed my ASP crank pulley.
Please help me, Shawn Hall
Old 05-10-2004, 10:24 PM

I don't know if this will help, but it might. All plug wires are not created equal. I noticed that you are running race wires. My guess is that it's some radio frequency interference from the wires. I would go with Magnecor wires. They are real high quality, and you won't have this crap going on. Some of my friends use their stuff exclusively in circle track, because they had some of the problems that you are describing, except they don't have the modern electronics. The class rules won't allow it. I use their stuff. Here's Magnecors' website and a link to a reputable speed shop that carries their products. They have some papers on their site explaining wire quality.

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm

Thunder Racing sells their stuff, and they're a sponsor.
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...d=204&pcid=104
Old 05-11-2004, 02:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Is there any way to check computer for possible PCM/wiring faults? It's a PITA, but that was the source of many of the random misfires we diagnosed when I worked in a shop.

Jeff
Old 05-11-2004, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

How would I go about checking the PCM for faults?
Old 05-14-2004, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Anybody? please help, its driving me CRAZY!
Old 05-14-2004, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

A blinking SES light is bad, real bad. Means CAT damage (providing you still have CAT's)
I would check plugs again make sure they are not cracked, make sure plug wires have a good clean connection, swap around your coil packs and see if the issue follows the coil packs, could be an ignition control module, could be crank/cam position sensor, could be PCM related, could be a vacuum leak. Take some carb cleaner and while the engine is running spray it around the intake and see if your idle changes, it if does their is your prob, if not, then no vacuum leak.

Lots of variables, I know how frustrating it can be.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmmm....
just a few quik things... coil packs.
and clean your MAF...

there are a few things that you said that are interresting... the code make you look at ignition... however there are a few things to concider...
first is that it only happens a wot . which although it could be a ingition thing points more to timing and fuel.
also you ses blinking says your cats or O2's aint happy another reason to say something on the fuel and timing side aint good...

the reason i suspect a dirty maf is because the effect it would have is giving you pcm bad info on what air is getting in and that would make your fuel curves nutty... which might not be THAT noticable at regualar cruising speed but at what when the rpms come up you could be detonating causing knock module to pull timing making bad power a bad a/f mix will **** off O2 sencers(codes there too) ect ect ect ...

iac was a good guess but that means nothing at wot...
try that
we'll go from there.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

O.K. Jaberwaki, I will try cleaning the MAF again (that was one of the first things I did when I first got the 'cruise effect'). Does anyone have any reason I shouldn't use brake and parts cleaner for that?
Old 05-14-2004, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

nope brake cleaner is fine... just insure you dry it VERY carefully....

only one other ?
you dont have ls1 edit or atap do you?
Old 05-14-2004, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

"Lots of variables, I know how frustrating it can be."
MeanWS6, I know! it's driving me up the #$%^ing wall!
Old 05-14-2004, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

I wish I did!! If I had autotap, I could give you SO much more info.. Oh well, if wishes were horses...
Old 05-14-2004, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ought1-Z28
O.K. Jaberwaki, I will try cleaning the MAF again (that was one of the first things I did when I first got the 'cruise effect'). Does anyone have any reason I shouldn't use brake and parts cleaner for that?
dude don't do that that sencor is pretty touchy, so just get yourself some electrical parts cleaner or something like that i forget the exact name. anyways you should be able to find it at any autoparts store or wharehouse.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

I am just trying to think of what I have on hand, zamboxl. How about GunScrubber? It dries with 0 residue and will strip carbon off anything.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

brake cleaner is what i have always used.. never had a prob...
Old 05-15-2004, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

OK took it to the dealer and had them put the tech2 on it. Cyl 8 was the worst with well over 2000 misfires and except for cyl 1, all the other cyls. had between 28-200 misfires. We looked at some other stuff and my LTFT table was blank, as in no LTFT. Ray, the service manager who did this, said he needed to have a tech take it for a test drive with the tech2 to see what was going on. I will get back with more info next weekend, I am going to Ft. Cambell, KY for most of this week, so I wont be able to do anything with the car untill next weekend.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

OK, I'm back! Does anybody know of any reason why I don't have a LTFT table?
Old 05-19-2004, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Let me rephrase that, why my LTFT table is blank.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Anyone?