New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Combo for setup question. Utterly confused.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Combo for setup question. Utterly confused.

Ok, I am not sure this will be a "newb" tech question but here goes. I have literally read hundreds of pages on cam/valve etc set ups about what I would need and don't need. I am actually FAAARR more confused than I was when I started. Combos seem limitless and that kills it for me when trying to find a similar setup.

I purchased a full intake manifold/TB/Lid/MAF set all of 100+MM.

So, I am ready to buy and install a cam. Cams need springs I gather for long term reliability under repeated abuse?? I am not worried about drive-ability or MPG. I want power on the stock block. I will be buying ported 243s to go along with it.

I started porting my stock 853s but while the one cylinder came out great, it is tooooo tome consuming for me lol. Now, I'd rather just throw some money at some used ported 243s.

So long story short, I need a cam or cam spec recommendation with accompanying parts. Be they springs, retainers etc. That will go well with ported 243. Assuming these heads will be polished and nothing more. I guess maybe I should be looking at no core pre assembled heads maybe?

I want power without tapping into the rotating assembly to fortify it. I emailed a few sponsors, I won't name them because I don't know their reasons for not responding but yeah, they didn't respond.

The parts I bought were Fast 102 intake, a NW 102 TB and a 104 Lid. Also a 100MM MAF which I take is necessary to run these parts.

So my car is sitting headless right now I have no clue where to go next. If I get X cam, will I need lifters, or the stock ones may work for Cam Y. Get what I mean? I am not sure if I am being clear. Please let me know.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this a street car or track car ? Power Goal / expectations ?

I would replace the lifters and trays while the heads are off. I would also have the heads milled and choose a head gasket to bump the compression up some before you just throw the biggest donkey dick cam it to make power.

Last edited by conan; 01-27-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:54 AM

My goal is a time vs a HP number. I would like a mid 11 car with a 1.7+ 60' foot.

I figure low to mid 400s would do that for me but dyno numbers are so erratic, I focus more so on ET.

The car will have:

- Fast 102 Manifold
- NW 102 TB
- 104 Lid
- 100MM MAF

- Kooks LT headers
- Ebay True duals w/ offroad x pipe

So at this point I need to fill the gap Between the Manifold and the block lol.

I was looking at TSP packages:

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1161-pr...m-package.aspx

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1160-pr...m-package.aspx

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-3961-pr...m-package.aspx

The options confuse me the most. Not the oil pump etc but the LSA and pushrod lengths. Also what chamber sizes to choose. This seems to be the simplest 3 choices within my budget.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can also contact Martin @ Tick, and he can spec you a cam that will meet or exceed your goal, with the PRC heads.

www.tickperformance.com
Old 01-27-2014, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would go with a 111 or 112 lsa.

For the cam size I would look at the torquer V2 or something along that size lift/duration.

Push rods you will want to buy a push rod length tool and measure for proper length.

For the combustion chambers I would get 60cc - 62cc. That would bump you compression up to 10.8-11 : 1 range depending on the gasket thickness.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the prc 225 cast head ,and it works with stock gm rockers .any cam bigger then the torquer v2 will need dual springs .any thing smaller will work with a beehive spring and a stock gm retainer .with a 102 mm TB you mite need to grind a little or use a ls2 water pump ,for clearance .you will need bigger injectors ,and a better fuel pump .
Old 01-27-2014, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

since your goals include 60', if you've got an auto be sure to get a stall too!

Quick Reply: Combo for setup question. Utterly confused.