Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV and Venting questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Default PCV and Venting questions.

2000 LS1, came out of a Firebird (AFAIK). This is going into a track car. It will never receive a smog check.

What is this, marked with blue masking tape? Do I need it? Can I get rid of it and plug the ports?

Same thing with this vent hose. Do I need it? I prefer to avoid introducing crank case gasses into the intake. I'v read about putting a catch can in this line.

What is this large hose for? It wasn't connected to anything when I got the engine. Can I simply plug it? And what's that sensor for?

I will be dumping the PCV system, and venting the crank case to a catch can, and then to atmosphere. Is there a ready made adapter for this hole, to make it a NPT? Or do I have to make one?

I'v read about converting the LS1 valve cover vents to LS6 type valley cover vents. I might do something like that, too. http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18
Old 01-28-2014, 06:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"....converting the LS1 valve cover vents to LS6 type valley cover vents. I might do something like that, too."

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

DO it
Johnny
Old 01-28-2014, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I responded in bold red under each pic...

Originally Posted by .boB
2000 LS1, came out of a Firebird (AFAIK). This is going into a track car. It will never receive a smog check.

What is this, marked with blue masking tape? Do I need it? Can I get rid of it and plug the ports?

This is the EVAP, yes you can get rid of it. Just make sure to vent your fuel tank another way.

Same thing with this vent hose. Do I need it? I prefer to avoid introducing crank case gasses into the intake. I'v read about putting a catch can in this line.

That is the PCV, you can either vent those lines to a vented catch can and not pull vacuum on the engine or you add a sealed catch can before the intake and catch most of the oil and moisture

What is this large hose for? It wasn't connected to anything when I got the engine. Can I simply plug it? And what's that sensor for?

The rubber hose with the squeeze clamp is to pull vacuum on the brake booster. If you don't need it, cap it. The sensor is the MAP sensor. The small vacuum nipple facing the pass side of the engine is for the HVAC controls.

I will be dumping the PCV system, and venting the crank case to a catch can, and then to atmosphere. Is there a ready made adapter for this hole, to make it a NPT? Or do I have to make one?

I'v read about converting the LS1 valve cover vents to LS6 type valley cover vents. I might do something like that, too. http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18
Most people weld in a bung with NPT threads if your going to Threaded fitting, "Search - rocker covers'' in the forced induction section. You'll get alot of ideas for welded rocker covers
Old 01-29-2014, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Conan, you're a genius! Thanx for all that good info, it's extremely helpful.

Rest assured, I'll be asking more silly questions like this as time goes on.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by .boB
Conan, you're a genius! Thanx for all that good info, it's extremely helpful.

Rest assured, I'll be asking more silly questions like this as time goes on.

Quick Reply: PCV and Venting questions.