Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob needing experienced opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob needing experienced opinion

I'm currently working on a junkyard cheap turbo 5.3 build. This will be going in a F body ta or camaro.I can get a running 5.3 for $500 ish. I'm currently doing the research before I buy the parts.. I found some with a 317 head and some ppl say that would be doggy until boost kicks in. What head and cam combo would be ideal? Ls6 cam with ls6 intake.. and what head to throw on? I will be getting arp hardware and different rings.. This is just for street and highway.. Maybe 6lbs of boost with pump gas fuel supporting mods.. Any other tips before I try this build?
Old 01-31-2014, 10:56 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joe_Spoolin
I'm currently working on a junkyard cheap turbo 5.3 build. This will be going in a F body ta or camaro.I can get a running 5.3 for $500 ish. I'm currently doing the research before I buy the parts.. I found some with a 317 head and some ppl say that would be doggy until boost kicks in. What head and cam combo would be ideal? Ls6 cam with ls6 intake.. and what head to throw on? I will be getting arp hardware and different rings.. This is just for street and highway.. Maybe 6lbs of boost with pump gas fuel supporting mods.. Any other tips before I try this build?
Try the forced induction section for a better response, but I believe 317 heads are really common on boosted builds. They help lower the compression because the combustion chambers are big. Im no expert so I'd definitely check with some other people but thats what I've read. Hopefully I can join the boosted crowd someday!
Old 01-31-2014, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For a street car I would shoot for 9.5:1 - 10:1 compression. 317 heads, with a .051 gasket, -8cc dish piston (lm7 piston) gets you a compression ratio of 8.3:1. That will be a dog out of boost. Most people put 317 heads on a flat top piston to drop the compression down some.

The LM7 is a 9.5:1 compression engine in it's stock form. So I would eather leave the stock heads on it or find some 243/799 heads. Just make sure to get a good set of valve springs in your head choice.

As far as a the ls6 intake and cam... The intake would be a good choice for boost, I myself and many others have great results with it. The ls6 cam would be a good budget option but there are many other cams out there that would get you more bang for you buck.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:48 PM
Teching In

I appreciate the input guys. Yeah I would really hate it being a dog out of boost but I could find a quick spooling turbo to probably help a little with it.

Quick Reply: Noob needing experienced opinion