Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting build

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting build

Ok never built engine and diving into a huge project, I have a 66 lemans I am doing ground up resto mod, frame has been blasted and painted with POR 15, last year i picked up a wrecked 2004 gto with t56 60,000 miles on it actually drove it onto my car hauler trailer. I disassembled the tranny and it is at powder coater now, will be taking it to Dallas next week to be built by Texas Drive Train, Car will have complete new suspension tubular A arms, Currie rear, front and rear disc brakes, now here is my main question, I will be boosting the LS1 and would like some input on pistons, rods and heads, will be diving into the project as we have no snow to speak of this year in Alaska so snow machining is out and I need something to do in my off time.
Thanks for any input.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Whats the power goal ? Whats your budget for the motor ? Turbo or blower?

Sounds like a cool project, any pics ?
Old 02-17-2014, 10:38 PM
Teching In

blower, 600 horsepower, engine budget around 3 to 4 grand not counting future supercharger, I will be posting pictures soon I just built a 30x40 shop with 2 post lift but my buddy has his vette in there now for his new engine install.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

600 shouldn't be too hard with a 347ci and a D1 or F1C Procharger.

I would call a few sponsors and get some prices on a good forged piston rod combo... Diamond, Wiseco, Mahle
Callies, K1, Lunati, you cant go wrong with any of those. Get your stock crank polished and rebalanced, stud the mains and heads.

Get a piston with some dish and run the 243 heads your engine came with and I would shoot for 10:1 compression. Can you confirm the casting # on the front of the head.

Keep the ls6 intake manifold unless you have room for a taller intake and want to spend the $$$ but ls6 does well with boost.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:14 PM
Teching In

thanks for the info I will check the casting numbers on wednesday have to fly out of town tomorrow for the day.

Quick Reply: Starting build