New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could this be a main or rod bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Could this be a main or rod bearing?

My car had great oil pressure when I parked it to replace transmission and take out EGR crap, air conditioner and all related components. It sat in shop for a few months due to me going through car, painting this and cleaning that while it was down.
I finally got it all back together and it felt really good. I noticed oil pressure was lower than normal so I kept an eye on it. It started getting back to where it was before I parked car. My boy wanted me to take him for a ride, so I did. We went down the road and gassed it a few times never thinking to keep an eye on oil pressure. The last time I romped on it and let off gas it died and wouldn't start. It acted like something was in a bind not letting it turn over. tried jumping it off but nothing. charged battery over night and took off belt to make sure it wasn't a pulley binding it up. It started right up, so put belt on and drove it home dying every time I let off gas. It was making a loud chirping noise more so when I gave it gas. It finally would idle but still had random chirp and a little rough. I checked flywheel, and unbolted from convertor. The convertor spun smooth so it leads me to believe its a bearing. I drained and strained oil, seems to have a bronze colored tint in it. Am I looking in the right direction or am I way off? any help would be great, thanks.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

If it started right up after you removed the belt, I'd start by checking alternator, ac compressor, power steering pump and idler pulleys to see if they are rough or locked up.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:05 PM
Teching In

It started with belt on the same as it did without. it sat overnight on the side of road the next morning was when I started it. Maybe lifters lost prime overnight and let it turn over so it might could be a lifter I guess. When I got home with it I cranked it with belt off again and the chirping sound was still there so it eliminated it being a pulley problem.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

if it was a bearing you would probably have shavings in your oil..
Old 04-18-2014, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Well I pulled the head and valley pan. I found a piece of metal laying in the bottom of the valley. Guessing it's part of the cam bearing. Will pull cam and find out for sure.
Attached Thumbnails Could this be a main or rod bearing?-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: Could this be a main or rod bearing?