New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy with a LS1 Question: limp mode?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with a LS1 Question: limp mode?

Hey everyone, New guy here with a question.

Does the LS1 go into limp mode, if the oil pressure gets too hot or too low psi?

I know my engine coolant temp got to 210F and the oil pressure was at 10psi at idle. As i drove off the track the car started bucking and then dyed on me as i went into the pits. I blew my clutch at the same time (all i could smell), but i could not get my engine to idle or response to throttle at all as i tried to trouble shoot it in the pits.

I am a little stumped to why it wouldn't idle or response to throttle. I will be pulling the tranny off soon to replace the clutch anyways.

Any Input?

Thanks guys

P.S. Here are some pictures

Last edited by LSXDrifter; 05-18-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:17 AM

210 is our normal stock operating temp, as for a lim,p mode i am not sure. I have even had a detonation light flash and it drove normal still..
bump to the top for ya though. hope all goes well
Old 05-28-2014, 06:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Plug wire maybe...? I'm not sure. Did it happen to pop a SES light that can be scanned?
Old 05-29-2014, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Something with intake it sounds like. Could be wrong. I just remember one time I was replacing my radiator, so I had to remove my intake box and unplug the MAF plugs, leaving just the throttle body exposed, and tried to start it up to move it inside the garage. It would not idle and would just choke itself out even under throttle load. Just my experience.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

everything is controlled by the PCM. it looks like you have an LS1 transplanted into another vehicle? if so then depending on what was modified in the PCM things could change.... regarding an unmodified PCM the normal coolant temp is 200-220°F. the radiator fans are not programmed to come on until coolant temp reaches 226° and that's on low speed, high speed radiator fans come on at 234°F coolant temp. if coolant is over 284° then radiator fans will stay on when engine is off.

limp mode is when coolant temp is over 268°F then DTC P1258 is set and that's limp mode, pcm will disable 2 groups of 4 cylinders at a time by not firing fuel injectors.

There is no sensor for oil temperature. As for oil pressure, I'm not sure if there's programming in the PCM to shut the engine off at low oil pressure- my guess is no because I believe you can disconnect the oil pressure sender or ground it and would have no affect on engine operation just the oil pressure gauge in the dash cluster.

Quick Reply: New guy with a LS1 Question: limp mode?