Sponsored by:

Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Issue

2000 T/A
when I apply the breaks there seems to be a power interruption, the gauges flash, the engine stays running but eventually pulls a Louis Hamilton and completely shuts down, turn off and it restarts right away, it happened two weeks ago and was ok for awhile but there is a gremlin somewhere
anybody had this issue?
Old 07-14-2014, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I suggest you get on your back under the dash and look at any wires that are touched or move when the pedal is pressed. IMO, probably a wire pinching, shorting, etc. physically rather than the brake lights or switch causing the issue. Possibly even a power wire being pulled out of a fuse block or connector or similar. Does this happen when you apply the brakes soft or hard or both?
Old 07-14-2014, 09:46 PM
Teching In

hello mercier, thanks for the reply, ya I pulled the panel off after work and looked at the wiring, found no apparent issues, the panel had never been off so there's been no modifications, the break switch seems loose? that may be normal? I figured i'd take a test ride, stared fine, it does not happen when parked, stopped fine at the first 4 stop signs, came to the 5th one, as soon as I touch the break pedal, just enough for break lights but not breaks, its light fest, its similar to when you reconnect the battery, everything flashes and clickes as the system finds itself, but the engine stayed running, 3 stop signs to get home, all three times as soon as I touch the pedal the same thing, off the pedal and things reset and work, I stayed off the pedal as much as possible to keep it running, left the last sign about 100yards and the cluster goes blank, 100yards more and the engine quits, pop it in natural , push in the clutch, turn off ignition, try to restart, she fires right up,still rolling 40 , grab 3rd and gone, got home without using the breaks again, I got the day off tomorrow, figured I get the battery tested and replace the break switch, I should prob grab a scanner and read any codes also,
thanks for the reply,
Old 07-15-2014, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be a battery or alternater issue. When brake lights are on, there is a large load on the electrical system. If those are weak, weird things happen. Also, Look for a short in the brake lights themselves.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Teching In

battery had a issue, 12.6v internal 11.3 at the terminals, internal short, put about 100mi on and it seems ok, sowbelle's scenario was exactly what was happening , the added draw of the breaks either caused a short in the battery or dropped the voltage below the operational limits of the ECU and it would reset when the voltage came back up after releasing the breaks,
thanks for your input guys!!!!!
Old 07-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Teching In

battery had a issue, 12.6v internal 11.3 at the terminals, internal short, put about 100mi on and it seems ok, sowbelle's scenario was exactly what was happening , the added draw of the breaks either caused a short in the battery or dropped the voltage below the operational limits of the ECU and it would reset when the voltage came back up after releasing the breaks,
thanks for your input guys!!!!!

Quick Reply: Electrical Issue