New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you tell the truck motors apart?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you tell the truck motors apart?

I'm looking at possibly doing the good ol' truck block with LS heads and intake set up. But how do you determine which is the 4.8, 5.3, or 6.0?

Is there a way to tell? Or do you just assume the 2500 silverado has the 6.0, the 1500 silverado has the 5.3, and the 1500 express has the 4.8? Or something along those lines?

Also, what is up with the boxier intake mani cover on the 99 silverado? Is that a 5.3?

Also, how capable is it to tune for forced induction? Does it require a pricy stand alone? Or can you tune with the stock ecu?
Old 07-26-2014, 01:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The blocks will have the liter # casted in to the block. You'll see 4.8L/5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L ect. https://camaroversion20.shutterfly.com/310 The vin# from the vehicle will tell you as well.

The bigger intake flow well and the trucks have the room under the hood VS the F-bodys and vets.

Stock PCM can be tuned for forced induction no problems.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by conan
The blocks will have the liter # casted in to the block. You'll see 4.8L/5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L ect. https://camaroversion20.shutterfly.com/310 The vin# from the vehicle will tell you as well.

The bigger intake flow well and the trucks have the room under the hood VS the F-bodys and vets.

Stock PCM can be tuned for forced induction no problems.
I see. Is there somewhere I can find the vin code for each motor? And is the displacement stamp visible with the flywheel/flexplate bolted on?

what I meant by the boxier intake cover was this

How do you tell the truck motors apart?-cqg354y.jpg

Vs

This

How do you tell the truck motors apart?-0o65ntp.jpg

And how do you go about tuning it? Is it something that you have to modify to accept a ROM chip? Or can you get a cable for your laptop and throw a tune on there with some software? Can any PCM that is used for an LS series motor be used for tuning, or running a stock LS set up?

Say I got the PCM out of a Suburban, can I use that to run a 5.3 with an LS1 intake and heads? Can I then use it to tune the set up for forced induction later on? Or does the PCM have to be out of a Camaro or Firebird?

Quick Reply: How do you tell the truck motors apart?