Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sealing new shifter

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sealing new shifter

Hello I'm just curious what you guys use to seal your shifter to the t56 transmission. I noticed the GTO shifter has a gasket where the Trans Am calls for RTV sealant. I just got a new Pro 5.0 and I'm just wondering what you guys tend to use.

Just for some added info I'm doing an LS1/T56 swap in my 240sx. I have an 04 GTO pull out and I'm converting to an f-body shifter due to fitment issues with the GTO shifter. I removed the entire GTO shifter assembly and swapped out the little cast piece that the shifter sets in for an f-body one so the shifter will fit properly. So at this point, I've noticed the gasket is only available from the dealer and its $45, but I can probably get away with reusing my old one. Just wondering what the forum suggests.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

RTV sealant is perfectly fine, I use Permatex Ultra Black.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Used blue RTV when I did my clutch because thats what was in the garage, black RTV 2 years later when I had the transmission rebuilt this spring, I used it for the same reason, it's what I had on hand. I see no reason to buy an expensive gasket.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:50 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used black RTV on all my shifter installs. If one really wants a gasket, I'd recommend going with a Cobra Bob set.

Quick Reply: Sealing new shifter