New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro advice and LS1 quiver

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so a question more about the negotiating aspect. How should I approach making an offer on these Camaros that are priced too high (Like the '99 Z28 M6 I mentioned or the '01 Z28 A4)? I feel that I already know how they're going to respond, something like "You won't find one like this, with these low of miles for this price." or "This is one of the last years of the classic bodystyle Camaro, these aren't very common" which to some extent is true in my area. I don't see Camaros that much anymore, but I live in a despicable Ford town so that may be a factor.

If $6-6500 is a better price to pay for that '99 Z28 with 78k miles, how in the world can I have a legit chance at that if the seller is asking $8k obo? I feel like he's going to think I'm a straight up lowballer for offering him something like that, but I am actually comfortable paying that price for it if he were to take it. Is there any good way when there's a divergence of thought about the value of a car like this to peacefully make this offer? I want some good backing so I have a chance the seller would consider it.

To me, it will need another set of rims and tires for winter driving which it does not have right now, and I will need to go buy a car cover for it. I'm not directly saying the seller should discount because of these things, but I'm wondering if the tires/wheels thing might be something that could help considering I'm going to DD it and not just garage it for the winter. Thoughts?
Old 12-07-2014, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't get caught up with these 2 cars. 90% of the cars out there you will encounter will be overpriced the same way. The sellers are sure they have rare gems that are bargains. The fact is, a quick glance of what's been available (and actually sold) on various on-line venues (auctions, ebay, autotrader, etc.) will show the real story. You won't be able to convince very many of them. Sure, they might have the only Z28 in town with <100K miles. And 100 miles away there's another one better than that for less money. For every car really worth all of $10K, there will be sellers asking $13K and maybe even $15K figuring it's one of "very few" cars left. Finding that seller at $10K or less is quite rare.

Make your best offer based on your research of sold cars. Share it with the seller. Some of them may not be aware of what similar cars are getting. They know what they've been offered for their car. And in some cases, no one has come along to make an offer for any amount. From now until March there will be a dramatic drop in buyers. If fresher sellers thought it was tough from August-November, just watch the next 3-4 months.

Make a fair offer and leave it at that. This is how this market seems to work. For every 10 sellers, only 1 has figured out what reality is and is motivated to sell for the best price the market will offer. The other 9 cars will remain unsold. Thing is, you can find that one. Just mention to those sellers autotrader and ebay, or LS1Tech.com and they'll see plenty of cars for sale, typically 500 or more across the country at any one time....90% of them with little chance of selling at current asking prices.

How far are you looking to travel to look at a car? Dealers probably have 1/2 of the cars available, and they know what they should get for it and how long it will take. I would think any car that has remained in inventory over the summer has to go before snow covers the lot. Those guys typically understand reality and most should take a fair offer when presented to them. Private sellers are much more emotionally attached to their rides, especially if it was their "baby." I find that about once per year a nice car priced very right shows up in my area (150-200 mi radius). You just have to be very observant and ready to go when it shows up. The other 90-95% of cars available you just have to figure as not buyable...until enough time has elapsed that the sellers come down to reality.

Last edited by Firebrian; 12-08-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:48 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Making offers is a simple prospect for me, I don't worry about convincing the seller of anything or persuading them based on other examples or my understanding of the market. I simply state something to the effect of, "My budget for this purchase is limited to $xxx, but if you can't come close to that number then I understand. The offer will stand until/unless I find another car within my budget that suits me." If they can't meet a price you feel comfortable with, then make sure they have your contact info and just walk away. Sometimes they call back, sometimes not. No need for complicated negotiations IMO; whatever your reason for making the offer you do, they too will have reasons for asking the price they have asked.

If I feel a car is wildly overpriced, and that a fair offer is going to be something like half of their asking price based on an ad or pictures, then I don't normally even bother contacting them or looking at the car. People who are asking such high prices either don't really want to sell their cars or are out of touch with reality, so I just avoid them. If they are asking $10.5k and you think it's worth $8k, then common ground can usually be found. If they are asking $17k and you think it's worth $7500, then it's not even worth the conversation IMO. Plenty more fish in the sea.

Dealers can be the worst in my experience, because when it comes to cars such as these they sometimes count on young and/or inexperienced buyers who will overpay in a moment of lust for a car. Sometimes they find such a person, so if they haven't had the car long then their price (and willingness to negotiate) will often be unrealistic for someone who is aware of the market. I have gone back to dealers after a car has sat for a period, and found them much more willing to return to earth in terms of their initial ask and negotiation.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 12-08-2014 at 12:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Camaro advice and LS1 quiver