Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 lifters

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 01:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls1 lifters

Hi guys, I just bought a 2002 ws6 from a family member and it has a bad lifter (very noisy) I am about to buy a set of lifters and top end gaskets my question is what lifters should I buy the ls6 or ls7? And do I still use the stock ls1 length push rods? Also witch Lifter treys should I use? Thanks
Old 04-27-2015, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

You maybe very disappointed after you change the lifters and they still tap just as badly. You most likely have a worn o ring on the oil pickup tube letting air leak into the oil stream. This causes the lifters to tap badly. You can easily test my diagnoses by adding 3 ozs of TransX transmission sealer to the engine oil. It won't hurt anything but it will swell the oring back to size and stop the tapping. Its available at Walmart for 5 bucks. Try it before you change lifters.

There cars are getting old and the o ring deteriorates over time.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the tip man, this is how the lifter started tapping my brother owned the car b4 me and would dog the hell out of it hitting the Rev limiter on a daily basis. That's why I wanna change the lifters also I pulled the valve cover on the noisy side to see a lifter not pumping as much oil as the others .
Old 04-29-2015, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by anthony251
Thanks for the tip man, this is how the lifter started tapping my brother owned the car b4 me and would dog the hell out of it hitting the Rev limiter on a daily basis. That's why I wanna change the lifters also I pulled the valve cover on the noisy side to see a lifter not pumping as much oil as the others .
Probably not getting as much oil over on that side because of air in oil. At least try the TransX before you tear into it. I've seen this over and over.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem and I became convinced I had the o ring problem. I had some slight bubbles in the oil and a low rpm tick. Replaced it and guess what?? I still have the tick. Drives me nuts.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Its very possible there are dirty lifters making the noise but I'd make sure before you go through all that just to find you need a 5 dollar o ring.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Well guys I changed the lifters with ls7 lifters and oem length ls1 pushrods still have the tick also just put some trans x I'm the oil only ran for about 5 min still a tick. I did flush the motor with engine flush and that made the noise go away so idk. Building a 402 in a few weeks with a lq4 I had laying around so screw it I'll just drive it like it is til I get my stroker built
Old 06-11-2015, 11:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by anthony251
Well guys I changed the lifters with ls7 lifters and oem length ls1 pushrods still have the tick also just put some trans x I'm the oil only ran for about 5 min still a tick. I did flush the motor with engine flush and that made the noise go away so idk. Building a 402 in a few weeks with a lq4 I had laying around so screw it I'll just drive it like it is til I get my stroker built
These motors are always going to be like sewing machines. Best of luck with the new build man!

Quick Reply: ls1 lifters