Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying a camaro and parting it out

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a camaro and parting it out

hi all, I am new to the LS world as well as motor swaps. Instead of getting an old 5.3L truck motor of unknown origin from a junk yard I have the bright idea of buying a running Camaro and parting it out.

I have in my sites a 2000 z28 automatic with 185k miles on it. the guy wants $3000 for it and my budget for this motor before computer flash and tuning is $2000. So I'd be getting the engine, accessories, exhaust, harness, computer, and pedal assembly all in one go. but I would have to make up a grand out of the body

what are people getting out of these shells? scrap yard would do $300ish (no. CA area) and I'm not the first to have this idea I'm sure theres plenty empty of Camaros floating around out there. is this the way to go here? I see a lot of stand alone LS1 engines complete going for 2500-3500. cost effective and LS aluminum do not go together I know but I'm ready to pull the trigger at these prices. someone talk me out of it
Old 11-10-2015, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull the drivetrain and sell the rest on here... list it as a "roller" someone will make a drag car out of it or swap the drivetrain from one they wrecked etc...

try to get it for $2500 then sell the rust free California roller
Old 11-11-2015, 01:01 AM
Teching In

I bought it. He wouldn't take less than 3
Old 11-11-2015, 04:34 AM
Teching In

Depending on condition of interior and exterior parts, you can easily part it out. I bought a wrecked 99 with 110k for $3000, needed hood, fender, bumper cover, and headlight but everything else was in great shape. Parted it down to the shell and made about $2500, and I still have some parts laying around. So for a weekends worth of work I ended up with all the parts you listed (eng, trans, exh, etc...) for about $500
Old 11-11-2015, 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Its getting harder and harder to part these cars out, I'm currently trying to unload a built motor,rear, and tranny. I would def. try to get it for less then 3k.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OutFoxed
Depending on condition of interior and exterior parts, you can easily part it out. I bought a wrecked 99 with 110k for $3000, needed hood, fender, bumper cover, and headlight but everything else was in great shape. Parted it down to the shell and made about $2500, and I still have some parts laying around. So for a weekends worth of work I ended up with all the parts you listed (eng, trans, exh, etc...) for about $500
what year did you do the part out? mine has nice seats, an amp and deck, panels, electronics all in good shape and an automatic transmission that shifts great. the body is straight as it gets I didn't see any dents so the bumpers, decklid, hood, everything is good to go the paints just pealing. It's a t-top so I hope someone wants the shell for a build. that would be incredible to be in this deal for $500

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
Its getting harder and harder to part these cars out, I'm currently trying to unload a built motor,rear, and tranny. I would def. try to get it for less then 3k.
that's a conflicting bit of info. you're located in NJ? is it possibly just an east coast difference? I was hoping to have some decent luck selling off the parts in CA everythings stupid expensive here. He wouldn't take less than 3 for it, he really knew his Camaros he said this was his 8th one so I'm sure this one was a flip for him. I feel comfortable with my investment, worst case I can just repost it for sale if I chicken out. the engine runs strong and that's what counts
Old 11-11-2015, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Atmos
what year did you do the part out? mine has nice seats, an amp and deck, panels, electronics all in good shape and an automatic transmission that shifts great. the body is straight as it gets I didn't see any dents so the bumpers, decklid, hood, everything is good to go the paints just pealing. It's a t-top so I hope someone wants the shell for a build. that would be incredible to be in this deal for $500

that's a conflicting bit of info. you're located in NJ? is it possibly just an east coast difference? I was hoping to have some decent luck selling off the parts in CA everythings stupid expensive here. He wouldn't take less than 3 for it, he really knew his Camaros he said this was his 8th one so I'm sure this one was a flip for him. I feel comfortable with my investment, worst case I can just repost it for sale if I chicken out. the engine runs strong and that's what counts
Yeah, I'm in Ca too and the going rate for these rollers and f-body parts is high. Much higher than a lot of the southern and east coast people realize. You should be fine. Probably just gotta be a little patient . I've seen these Cali prices extend into Arizona. I don't know about Oregon or Washington though.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:37 AM
Teching In

I've got the time and space, just gotta see what hoops the DMV wants me to jump through and I'm good to go. shouldn't be too bad since is still tagged and registered and all I'm doing is non-opping. thanks guys! cant wait to hear this thing screaming in a custom build
Old 11-11-2015, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

I've got the time and space, just gotta see what hoops the DMV wants me to jump through and I'm good to go. shouldn't be too bad since is still tagged and registered and all I'm doing is non-opping. thanks guys! cant wait to hear this thing screaming in a custom build
Make sure you read all of your DMV paperwork. When I non opped mine a few years ago I figured out that you can't even tow it without a special one day pass from them. Plus they give you a choice to pay every year on it or not. It is still accruing fees just not as much as it would if it wasn't non opped. That probably won't matter cause you'll move it faster than that. Just wanted to give you a heads up. Our state is out of hand with all these regulations,fees, and bureaucratic crap.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice 4th post ....
Old 11-11-2015, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by celtsean
Make sure you read all of your DMV paperwork. When I non opped mine a few years ago I figured out that you can't even tow it without a special one day pass from them. Plus they give you a choice to pay every year on it or not. It is still accruing fees just not as much as it would if it wasn't non opped. That probably won't matter cause you'll move it faster than that. Just wanted to give you a heads up. Our state is out of hand with all these regulations,fees, and bureaucratic crap.
Thanks for the heads up. I definitely planned for some one day passes, you need one even if you trailer it. I was under the impression that non op meant that registration does not accrue but I'll definitely remember to ask them that

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
Nice 4th post ....
The sarcasm is vague

Last edited by Atmos; 11-12-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by celtsean
are you sure you put it in non-opt? the idea of non op is it won rack up the fees. i bought a 260z before with non op for years. i only payed like 100 something to get it back on the road. my mom and sister has put cars on non op for several years and no back fess aswell.

as far as special tags to tow. this is true for when your towing two wheels. if in a flat bed its fine. atleast this is my understanding and apparently AAA driver aswell as i have used AAA about 3 times moving a non op car that my mom and sis owned.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stock400whp
are you sure you put it in non-opt? the idea of non op is it won rack up the fees. i bought a 260z before with non op for years. i only payed like 100 something to get it back on the road. my mom and sister has put cars on non op for several years and no back fess aswell.

as far as special tags to tow. this is true for when your towing two wheels. if in a flat bed its fine. atleast this is my understanding and apparently AAA driver aswell as i have used AAA about 3 times moving a non op car that my mom and sis owned.
I definitely had it on non op for three years. Otherwise I would have payed an exorbitant amount. As far as the specifics I'm not sure.
I know that you have to pay every year , or an option for every two years. But I still had to pay fees when I put it back to a regular registration . Not nearly as bad as if I didn't have it on non op tho. And anyone will tow your vehicle . They don't care about your registration status. They won't get in trouble. You'll still have to pay them if something goes wrong. Pretty unlikely but you never know. And I'm not sure about the two wheel or flatbed thing. I thought they specified if you move the vehicle in anyway they have to be notified.

Last edited by celtsean; 11-13-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

And a flatbed might be a way around it. They are pretty damn strict . It's rediculous.

Quick Reply: buying a camaro and parting it out