New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first WS6!! What to do first?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My first WS6!! What to do first?

Gents and Ladies,

I have purchased my first WS6. It's a 2000 and original. I'd like to know what are some good starting ideas for performance upgrades.

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2016, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It depends on what your goals are in HP/performance, $$ to spend and probably never see again, and how long you plan to keep the car. I think you should drive the car for 3-6 months before doing anything. Attend car shows, probe other enthusiasts, read older threads from here. There's a ton of stuff.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks a lot for that recommendation.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Save yourself the cost of modding the car and then deciding it's not enough and then making a how to turbo my ws6 thread. Go with a small turbo setup you won't regret it I don't think I could have any other ls motor that wasn't forced induction it's a feeling that' can't 'be beat. Before anyone says I sound dumb look how many threads there are of ppl that modded there car then spent more money changing it expensive cams high dollar exhaust systems intake and injectors all add up but if u only do it once it's not nearly expensive I did the lightly modded thing too then scrapped it all for more power and more money
Old 05-12-2016, 10:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebrian
It depends on what your goals are in HP/performance, $$ to spend and probably never see again, and how long you plan to keep the car. I think you should drive the car for 3-6 months before doing anything. Attend car shows, probe other enthusiasts, read older threads from here. There's a ton of stuff.
I think this is some great advice. I second it.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To directly answer your question ("What to do first?")

I suggest getting an Airlid. It's cheap, easy to install (I had some struggle, but a heatgun and some leverage got the job done) and cleans up the power you are losing from your WS6 hood from the wasteful baffles that come stock with these cars. I got a performance filter with it simultaneously (not the kind you have to oil, I think it was from Spectre), but that's a negligible gain HP wise.

There's also the "free RamAir mod", but if you don't want to start butchering your car with a Dremel for a little more airflow, I understand.

http://installuniversity.com/install...am_air_mod.htm

Also, if you're on an A4, a stall can make a lot of difference in how it drives, even stock.

This is all starter, small game stuff for your car. If you want to start jumping HP numbers, these guys can better help you when it comes to cams or forced-induction.

Quick Reply: My first WS6!! What to do first?