Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can we discuss engine mods for a completw newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this is some crazy stuff.

First off, congrats on the car OP. I just read through this and I have to agree with most. I would drive it as less as possible and never do any wot pulls. You definitely need a stall and I'd go with a 3600 or 4000, anything less is a waste. I never tried it, but I was told that a 224r is at the limits of pushing through your brakes when trying to stop. The stall will also make it easier to stop....that's pretty important lol.

I cannot believe the guy didn't have the car tuned, and I'd almost be leery of what was said to be done. I would buy a stall for it and drive it easy to a tuner, or get a mail order tune. If they are a reputable place, then a mail order tune will be really close, but not optimal. But it will be pretty close to being dead on, but still being safe enough to not hurt your motor.

When I did my turbo setup, I sent mine to my tuner so he could throw a tune on it so I could drive it 4½ hours for him to tune it. The car drove absolutely perfect in every aspect, with the exception of him putting a 4700rpm limit, 5psi boost limit, and a max speed of 85mph
Old 06-12-2016, 08:32 AM
Teching In

I appreciate all the replies, i am going to get it towed to the shop.
I will also be putting in a converter.

As for which stall to use, i wont be doing that any time soon so im not gonna worry about it now. Not to undermine all your recommendations and i very much appreciate the help its just you have to see where im coming from, a complete newbie should trust professional tuner shops and manufacturers recommendation...and Most are telling me 3000 stall..

this is going to be my summer car with some amounts of daily driving in the warmer weather.. Im not going to be driving around like a speed demon or anything. My main concern is avoiding expensive repair bills in the future especially since converters are expensive as hell and I hear they raise the risk of tranny issues. I will buy a yank as I heard they are very reliable as well as a trans cooler.

As for the previous owner should have gotten a tune, he was scheduled too but i was in a rush to buy it after having 2-3 other buys fall through on me my and waiting on some money that kept getting postponed (never lend money out you don't expect to see back). My patience had run out and i had just said "**** it i just wanna by something now and not deal with car shopping anymore' and told him to just sell me the car as is and i would take care of the tune myself. If I knew then how important a tune was i would not have made such a foolish mistake.

by the time i have money for sales tax, tune, towing expenses, converter, etc summer will be gone. the car will sit around until probably sept. most tuners are booked until aug anyways so its whatever...
Old 06-12-2016, 05:25 PM
11 Second Club

I'm not trying to undermine your "professional" tuner shops and manufacturers, but I would call Yank up and I would be willing to bet that they recommend to you at minimum a Yank SS3200, but probably an ss3600. That is on the smaller side of cams though, so maybe they will recommend a lower one? The ss3600 is a pretty tight converter and your car will take off on it's own and won't feel very "mushy" while driving.

Seriously though (not that I wasn't being serious about calling them, because I would), there are a lot of knowledgeable guys on this site and I'm not sure what kind of shop it is, but I would at least get a second opinion, preferably from an ls performance shop. Do you know anyone around you that has a stalled car that you could ride in or drive? That would be a big help on your decision if you do.

I talked to yank and told them my build and that it was going to be a daily driver for a while, in town 99% of the time with a max of 35mph speed limit. They recommended the yank ss3600 and I race street and strip. I put that stall in when my car had 15,9xx miles on it, so I wouldn't have recommended anything that I wouldn't have done to my own vehicle. Not that my 2 cents is worth anything, especially when it comes to some of the other guys that recommended it to you.

I can honestly say that if you only get a 3000rpm stall, you will 100% regret not getting a bigger one. Once you hit wot on a decent sized stall, you know what everyone was talking about. Those stalls aren't cheap, and I'd hate to see you waste your money and regret not getting a bigger one. Yank does offer one free restall within a year though. The down side to that is the labor to take it out, paying for shipping both ways to restall it, and then having to get it retuned.

Either way, good luck and as long as you're happy with the final result, then that's all that matters man.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ Excellent advice

Quick Reply: Can we discuss engine mods for a completw newbie