Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to LS base

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to LS base

I'm debating on which car to buy and which engine to run. I will be building a pure race car/engine combo. I want to realistically be running in the low 11s to high 10s within a year of buying the car. I'm leaning towards a f-body due to weight concerns with g-bodies. My major concern is tuning. I'm used to just adding modules and turning distributors. I guess the main question is are you able to change things like stroke, heads, cam, intake, pistons, rods, spray it, and fuel change, and then be able to tune the engine your self without the use of a dyno? I feel like I know the answer there, but want to hear it from y'all. I want to step up to the tech., but I'm just not sure that I can afford it. Oh and what's the range of cost related to dyno tuning these engines that I've described.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I actually prefer my ride street tuned over dyno tuned. So to answer your question, no a dyno is definitely not necessary to tune these cars. It has its benefits of course, but street tuning has more IMO
Old 06-09-2016, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled the trigger!!

So I did it! I bought myself a '98 trans am with ls1. It already has ls 6 top end including heads, cam, intake and exhaust manifolds. The guy I got it from did not know if it's been tuned since. Which program does everyone use to start tuning? I'll save the current config file and start from there. I've heard that alot of guys use HP tuners software. Thanks for the input. Also I know that the site has a search feature. I also know that the site contains copius ammounts of info that do not pertain to me. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: New to LS base