Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A replacement for an aged set of locking lugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A replacement for an aged set of locking lugs

I am currently the proud driver of a 98 Z28 with stock chrome rims which after some polishing look great. My issue is more and more with the locking lugs it has. I am a fan of the theft deterrent but with all the abuse the previous owners have put those locking lugs through they are not gripping the lock well when I am removing them. I would love the communities input on what would make a solid replacement? My fear with what is on there is one day the lugs will be so bad I can't get them off.

This is with the covers still on...obviously.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:51 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I don't think there is any aftermarket replacement that will allow you to use the factory lug caps that are part of the factory center caps. If there are, I have not seen them. The aftermarket ones all seem to be close-ended and don't have external threads for the lug caps to grab. I guess you could get another set of the factory style, but with 16" stock wheels the likelihood of theft is very low. I always remove these and replace them with regular factory lug nuts.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You're probably right

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I don't think there is any aftermarket replacement that will allow you to use the factory lug caps that are part of the factory center caps. If there are, I have not seen them. The aftermarket ones all seem to be close-ended and don't have external threads for the lug caps to grab. I guess you could get another set of the factory style, but with 16" stock wheels the likelihood of theft is very low. I always remove these and replace them with regular factory lug nuts.
I should probably be more honest with myself. I will just go snag a few non locking lug nuts and move on. Thanks for the advisement.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:10 PM
Lup
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.slponline.com/product/825...lack-Caps.html

$26 bucks. Can't beat it
Old 06-15-2016, 12:59 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Lup
The lug nuts that come in that package are not locking, and those black caps won't work with the wheels shown in the OP's picture above. Those particular wheels (and the silver painted variant) use a center cap that has integrated lug caps which are a press-fit assembly.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:41 PM
Lup
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh my bad. It sounded like he was going to do away with the locking lugs. I didn't know about the lug caps being integrated with the center cap. But now I do.
Good luck
Old 06-15-2016, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

I know honda uses the same thread as does for lug nuts. They sell locking lug sets with the key. And the lugs are polished like your wheels. Just an opinion. I know the shops have spare lug nuts lying around. They might just give you some is you ask the guys in the back (I work for Honda)

Quick Reply: A replacement for an aged set of locking lugs