Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 30th T/A fuel pump issues...won't start after being stored for years

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

I would cut the hole in mine (17k mile, 97 point car) as well, as the factory should have put a panel there in the first place IMO. But some people are opposed to this.
Prove it!! Video!

The ice bucket challenge died down...trap door challenge?
Old 06-27-2016, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stopped by the storage where the car is today just to check on it, not to work on it. I tried to start it...nothing. I haven't done anything else to it yet. I was kinda hoping that with all those chemicals soaking into the pump it might have done SOMETHING. But, no go.

Where exactly and how hard should I hit the tank with a mallet? That will be one of the next things to do...but with 100 degree heat and 90 percent humidity down here in Louisiana (with heat indexes in the 113 degree range) I gotta wait until it cools down to at LEAST 96.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:11 AM
Teching In

Anyone? How hard and where should I hit the tank with a rubber mallet?

Hmmmm???
Old 06-30-2016, 02:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ggoat!!!
Anyone? How hard and where should I hit the tank with a rubber mallet?

Hmmmm???
I would have 2 people there, one cranking and the other tapping the Centre of the tank working in a criss-crosspattern. I would start with a couple of light taps before even cranking and then try cranking. Your trying to jar the pump out of its frozen position. I'm figuring your in new pump territory tbh, bUT give it a try, nothing to loose. Also at this point make sure the battery has enough juice to get you started in the first place. Not too sure how many times you have tried cranking and what the condition of the battery was in the first place.

Even though dropping the axle etc is a MAJOR pita, I would sleep better knowing my car wasn't hacked up lol. Stupidly enough my 99 Grand Prix GTP had an access panel which made a pump change a 1 beer, hold the smoke til later kinda job.

I call bs on RPM hacking up his car too!!
Old 06-30-2016, 06:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

dude just take it to a shop and have it fixed , sett if any of them are versed in the trap door mod and do it that way .
Old 06-30-2016, 06:31 AM
Teching In

The car is all original and is like new; it's an early run car and was built with the rare light blue rims. I'm not going to cut it up with a dremel tool or tin snips.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by NDFORSPD
I call bs on RPM hacking up his car too!!
I would if I needed to, but so far the original pump is fine.

I would also drill holes in the inner door panel to replace power window motors on this car, if I ever needed to.

Neither job is a "hack" IMO, it's correcting a factory access oversight. To me, it doesn't matter how rare or "valuable" the car is or is perceived to be, neither of those access mods are anything that can be seen from top, bottom, inside or outside without partial disassembly of the interior or removal of the tank, so who would even know? I cut holes in the door of my '02 to change the window motors, I did a clean, careful job and I didn't lose one minute of sleep; once the door panel was back on it was as good as forgotten. Same would be the case for my like-new 17k mile '98.

And lastly, as mentioned above, some other types of cars came with this provision from the factory. F-bodies should have had it as well. These cars came with scores in the carpet behind the rear seats for shock access - that to me is more noticeable than a panel under the carpet.

Ultimately, it's up to the owner to do that with which he feels most comfortable. Some guys won't even change the catback exhaust on a car they perceive to be a collector example, others will do heads/cam and all supporting items without a thought.

Quick Reply: '99 30th T/A fuel pump issues...won't start after being stored for years