New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Rattle Noise Please help !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rattle Noise Please help !!

. Please listen and you'll hear a weird rattle when engine is at higher rpm I can't seem to narrow it down its driving me insane!!!! Do any of you have this noise and know what it could be ??
Old 07-21-2016, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FreeTheBird612
https://youtu.be/BPpigQ645n8. Please listen and you'll hear a weird rattle when engine is at higher rpm I can't seem to narrow it down its driving me insane!!!! Do any of you have this noise and know what it could be ??
If your talking about the clicking sound when the engine is going from the rev back to the idle, then it sounds to me like the valvetrain (example is like lifters or rockers). I've heard LS engines do this and it be normal but just to be sure lets see if anyone else would like to chime in? Too much noise can be bad also.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Cat rattling...?
Old 07-21-2016, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

My car made close to the same noise when I bought it with 11,613 miles on it. I did a cam build at 15,9xx miles and then a turbo build with another cam change at almost 21k miles on it. I never had any problems with it and I just pulled the motor to put a 6.0 in it while I get the stuff together to forge the ls1. I took it apart and everything looked good with the cam, lifters, rod bearings, main bearings and the cam bearings were all good except for some wear on the front and the rear one. Still haven't figured that one out yet?

But from the sound of it, I'd say it sounded close to mine and you should be ok. I've heard a few that almost sound like a couple ***** rattling inside a spray paint can, but at a lower level. But if it sounds worse than what's on this video, I'd have it looked at by someone. It may not be a bad idea to drop by a buddy's house that knows ls motors and see what he things anyways.

Quick Reply: Engine Rattle Noise Please help !!