New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longtube ground clearance 1998 WS6 Trans Am?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
We accept PayPal for beer. Just kidding

You won't have any issues with taking your egr stuff off. Thousands of people have done this without issues. You will have to have your car tuned for sure before it will pass emissions. Your state doesn't do visual inspections does it?
No inspections of any kind, here.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernRex
No inspections of any kind, here.
You're good to go then.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
Both mine and my kids car still have the oem ones that came in our cars. You can reuse the rears in the fronts if you need one later. You also have to consider that these o2 sensors will eventually need replaced anyways. So you can't really say that it was because of the extensions, because they are just giving signal. It's a mix of being old already and long tubes/new location of them.

I don't see anything wrong with buying them new like you posted. I just wanted him to know that he doesn't have to go that route and can wait until his actually need replacing. $20 vs $140 to me just wasn't justified since mine were still good. With two extras from the rears, it just worked out better for me.

They will eventually need replaced, so you can bite the bullet and do them now, or buy extensions and do it when they eventually go out as normal maintenance on your vehicle.
no im not saying the extensions make them fail, the extensions are just wires that's all. Im saying the old sensor will burn out with the new increase in heat and volume from the headers.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usnfenix
no im not saying the extensions make them fail, the extensions are just wires that's all. Im saying the old sensor will burn out with the new increase in heat and volume from the headers.
I just see o2 sensors as regular maintenance and don't want to waste money on them until I have to lol.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

The headers won't really have an effect on the sensors. O2's are just fickle. Some people have problems with them early on, some not. The ones in my truck lasted close to 300K miles and were probably still fine when I changed them. I was chasing a problem and changing didn't help.

I guess I got lucky, I got my Corvette sensors for $73 shipped on ebay. They sell non Gm ones that will work too for very reasonable prices if you're comfortable going that route.

Walmart has them for $51 a piece plus tax. Or this seems to be the best price on ebay.....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACDelco-213-...hUkyHS&vxp=mtr
Old 10-05-2016, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

No offense but I disagree. Your stock o2 in most cases spends years with the restrictive flow of the factory manifolds, then when flow is uncorked from the LT's theres more heat and flow which can lead to failure. I look at it as a guy whos been holding a door closed against 1 person pushing on the other side for several years, then all of a sudden out of nowhere its 3 guys pushing on the door. Sooner or later the added strain will cause it to fail sooner than expected IMO.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://www.amazon.com/BlackPath-Cam...lock+off+plate

That covers the exhaust, but I still need one for my intake manifold, right?
Old 10-10-2016, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, those are like $9 only on the WS6 store. **** the Amazon one. lol
Old 10-11-2016, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SouthernRex
https://www.amazon.com/BlackPath-Cam...lock+off+plate

That covers the exhaust, but I still need one for my intake manifold, right?
There are nice looking billet plugs out there for th EGR hole, but you can put a 1 3/8" freeze plug in it if you want something cheap.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by t_raven
There are nice looking billet plugs out there for th EGR hole, but you can put a 1 3/8" freeze plug in it if you want something cheap.
Yeah, as much as I like "nice", the manifold is coming out ANYWAY so, might as well save the money, right? lol

Guys, do you know if I should/need to get a heat shield for my four O2's (two wrapped, two extended), and should I get a heat shield for my new plug wires? (Since I'm going longtube and replacing them at the same time)? And any recommendations on plugs/wires? I don't know anything about sparkplug ratings or anything like that.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I removed the heatshields from all of my f bodies when doing LT's. I have never used a heatshield for an o2 sensor either.

Quick Reply: Longtube ground clearance 1998 WS6 Trans Am?