Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice Please, Mechaical Engine Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Advice Please, Mechaical Engine Problem

I had an cammed LQ4 in my 2000 camaro.. the oil pump failed and had to replace the engine.

Replaced it with an LQ9 block, and the shop who installed it replaced the cam and used the rest of the top end parts from the LQ4, heads, push rods etc.

I was driving along and all the sudden a loud tap from right side of engine and a cylinder miss fire.. running on 7 cyl.Drove the car home about 5 miles shut it off.. oil pressure was 40psi..

I suspect since he used the old lifters, one collapsed? It has dual valve springs. I planned on doing a head and cam upgrade, but now im worried about the block being damaged, or metal through the engine. Whats chances of block damage?

Whats the wisest and most economical to approach this? I have the cash for heads, cam, labor.. but if my block is bad now I need a new engine which is not in budget, and I don't wanna spend much diagnosing this engine if have to replace it.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2016, 08:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 533 Likes on 377 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I would pull the valve covers first. You may have a bad rocker arm from the previous oil failure. Granted, you could have far worse problems, but that is the easiest to find and cheapest to fix. Start at the top and work down until you find the problem. Also drain the oil into a clean receptacle in order to inspect for debris, and cut open the oil filter for the same purpose. If you find any debris that you can't readily figure out, post pics.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
I would pull the valve covers first. You may have a bad rocker arm from the previous oil failure. Granted, you could have far worse problems, but that is the easiest to find and cheapest to fix. Start at the top and work down until you find the problem. Also drain the oil into a clean receptacle in order to inspect for debris, and cut open the oil filter for the same purpose. If you find any debris that you can't readily figure out, post pics.

Thanks for the advice! Looks like a pain to pull off with the coils and all , but ill give it a try.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best to pull the coils off first to get to the valve cover.

Quick Reply: Advice Please, Mechaical Engine Problem