New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth trying the short cut or not? One pitted cylinder honed out.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 09:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth trying the short cut or not? One pitted cylinder honed out.

I'm a newbie so I apologize if this is in the wrong place or if this is stupid. I'm doing an ls swap in a obs Chevy p/u with a donor 01 Tahoe. The vehicle had been wrecked and sitting a while and I couldn't get the engine to start it would crank though and showed symptoms of blown head gaskets as well. My plans were to freshen the motor up with new bearings rings and seals until I pulled the engine down and found water on top of a few cylinders with some rust from the sitting. So I figured worst case scenario I'd have to have the block bored and get new pistons. So before doing that I decided to hone it and see how bad it was. Come to find out there is only one cylinder that didn't clean up as good as I'd liked but it got a lot better. I guess my question is can I keep on honing this thing out until it completely cleans up, as this is just going to be a stock bottom end an only minor upgrade to cam and heads. I wasn't looking in to throwing a bunch of money at this thing just yet. And was trying to avoid the machine shop as I know they would tell me to just bore it. If I continue I will take measurements as of now I don't know how much I've removed but it is cleaning up. I guess what I was wondering is if what I was trying worth it or to just scrap my plans. This was just fun for me and an experiment testing my ability. And this motor wasn't likely to stay in the vehicle but for about 2 years. Like I said I'm new to this whole forum thing and I'm not the most computer say but I recently about 2 years ago dropped a bad habit and hopefully this is my new addiction. This engine reminds me of the "squirter project" that agh4l did however I couldn't find any results as to why that engine failed. Thanks in advance for any opinions, support or advice.

Quick Reply: Worth trying the short cut or not? One pitted cylinder honed out.