Sponsored by:

Newbie dyno question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newbie dyno question

/me dons his flame suit

Does anyone have a write-up on how to dyno a car? I've never done it, nor have I seen it done, except for on Horsepower TV, which is usually a cutaway shot of them starting the engine, a cutaway of them doing something with the button attached to the computer, then Joe Elmore saying "Wow! We gained 7 horsepower for only 6 hours of work and $5000 in parts!"

I'm thinking about taking the Blue Chariot of Death in for a dyno soon, and would not like to look like the fool I am. FWIW, I have a 2000 Z, M6.

Thanks,

-Mike
Old 07-12-2004, 07:43 AM
Chop-Foo Director

The shop you dyno at will be running your car, so don't worry about it.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

Some places make you dyno yourself, and if you have to do that, they should walk you through it, but if not here is what they told me. When you get strapped in they will probably have you crank up and let the car run for a sec. After that they will check all the straps and make sure everything is cool. Once you are ready to make your first pull, you will start off in first gear. Just pretend you are driving around town, ease the clutch out and give it a little gas. You want to ease up to around 2500 rpms or so and do this until you get to fourth gear. Take your time, its not a race. When you get to fourth gear, you want to ease up the rpms to around 2500 or so and when they give you the go ahead you lay into the throttle. Take it to whatever rpm you want and then let off the gas and put the car in neutral. The dyno man will use the dyno brake to slow the tires down. Thats all there is to it
Old 07-12-2004, 08:06 AM
Staging Lane

Yes most shops will not let you run your car
how ever i will not let them run my car *LOL* so i do the runs my self there is really only one thing to remember NEVER NEVER hit the brake while the dyno drum is turning
you will start the car and warm it up to the temp you want to start the run at then put it in gear run it up through the gears fairly easy
you will make your pull in a 1 to 1 gear if its an auto that is third if it is a stick thats fourth you give the guy the nod to let him know you are ready he will hit the button as you smack the gas peddel to the floor holt it there watching your gages or auto tap what ever till it hits the rev limiter let off the gas and wait if it is a stick car you can push in the clutch but DO NOT HIT THE BRAKE when the cars comes to an idle simply turn it off get out and see your numbers

thats about it nothing big man
Old 07-12-2004, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Cool! Thanks for the replies. I felt like a putz for asking, seeing as how most everyone else on the site posts their dyno numbers in their sig and I've never even had mine done.

MTI may be getting a visit from me soon. I doubt I can make the upcoming dyno day, but soon....sooooon!

-Mike