Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic Oil question???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic Oil question???

Ok guys....this is gonna sound like a serious newbie question but I gotta know cuz I am changing oil ASAP! I want to switch to synthetic oils in all my vehicles, however they have relatively high mileage. The Z has 100k on it and the truck has about 80K on it. My dad says since I haven't been running it since day one I shouldn't switch to synthetic. However I like the fact of better protection and superior lubrication of synthetics. Can I make the change to something like Valvoline Max Life synthetic oil for high mileage engines? Do I need a special oil filter to go with it too. Wow I sound dumb as hell...however I really need to change oil so enlighten me please.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

As I understand it, if you already have a small oil leak switching to synthetic will exasperate the problem. If I were you, since your two vehicles already have over 80,000 miles in them, I would continue to use the oil you have been using and make sure you change it (the oil and filter) regularly.

Regular oil filters are used regardless of which oil you choose. I use a K&N oil filter and Red Line Synthetic oil. I started using synthetic oil very early.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I say switch and fix any oil leaks.

switching to synthetic doesn't have any negative effects, except for the oil leaking, but that's not the oil's fault.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another vote for the switch,
no special filter needed.

and do it right. mobil 1 or amsoil.

everything else is just dressed up dyno oil