New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting your car Clear Coated Again?..

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting your car Clear Coated Again?..

I have a black 98 transam..and since it is black and has 82,000 miles on it there are lots of scratches...minor ones but visible..when the car is clean..i heard that if you get your car clear coated again..it takes all the scratches away??...is this true?....cuz if it is..i would seriously bring my car in for it...i wish my car looked brand new...the interior still does and everything mechanical has been well maintained..but the scratches..is what let me get this car cheaper than i should of 2 weeks ago.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never heard of getting a car re-clear coated but you can take your car to a body shop and have them buff the scratches out with a high speed buffer as long as they aren't too deep
Old 08-08-2004, 06:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you most certainly can...
hell slap 15 coats of clear if you want(it will keep getting better)

first they will have to wetsand and machine buff the scratches you have off, then they can add all the clear you want, and its a good idea as the fbody clear is superthin.

word to the wise. do some seriouse homework on any place you are considering to do the work. ask around, ask for referances, and customer pics. close ups in direct sunlight. be VERY picky.. the wronge person can make it look worse then it does now....
Old 08-08-2004, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

thanks
Old 08-09-2004, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cheaper alternative is to get it detailed. I got mine done last year for 300$ sounds steap but the end result was very nice. Ask a dealership that you trust who they use to detail their car that they take in on trade. Check em out get some before and after pics just make sure they have experience.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

how much does it usually cost to get your whole car buffed..i got alot of scratches..