Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads/Cam Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Heads/Cam Swap

Without having much experience in fixing cars...do you think it is possible for me to do a heads cam swap myself and with another friend...and how hard do you think it would be..this is also installing ls6 oil pump and a double timing chain...would i be fine with just using the direction on ls1howto.com
Old 08-15-2004, 08:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know its not cheap but personally I would have a professional shop do the work.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:52 AM
Launching!

I would't discourage anyone from trying to do there own work but I would recommend doing it with the help ofwww.ls1howto.com and maybe doing some of the other mods yourself such as headers. On the other hand, I had only previously worked on mainly suspensions in my cars and went right to doing a cam,valve spring and header swap in one shot. You can do it wwwwwith very little tools and a little heelp from a friend (or wife in my case) and of coarse this board is huge!

I just think that if you are going to extensively mod your car you may want to know how to fix it yourself (if you have that sort of time some do not), rather than spending more cash to let someone else do it. This way, you will have lots more money to spend
on whatever you want.

Good luck,
Derek

Last edited by apexman; 08-15-2004 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:40 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Without having ever done some serious wrenching prior to the h/c swap, I've done both heads and cam with the guidance of a friend who has done some work on his cars. It's the best arrangement for a novice, as one learns with hands on experience, yet there is someone there to oversee what's going on.

For both swaps we followed ls1howto.com
Old 08-15-2004, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

I would say to go for it--I did! And haven't looked back since. Not only that, you'll gain an immeasurable amount of knowledge on how your car functions as well as save a ton of money for future mods. Also, in my opinion, you'll have the satisfaction knowing that you built it yourself

All I would suggest is that: (A) Make 100% sure that you understand all the instructions before trying to apply the knowledge (B) Take your time doing even the smallest procedure and ask plenty of questions here if you get stuck--Yeah, I'm slow as hell when I install something Also, I've had very good luck when utilizing www.ls1howto.com, www.installuniversity.com as well as a few others...

Good luck modding and have fun