Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has this happened?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Has this happened?

To any of you? I went to pick up the 99 Z28 6speed and it grinds going into 3rd and 4th everytime. You cant make it not grind. I was told that the "linkage" was off a little and they were gonna fix it. I told them that it sounded more like synchronizers to me but go ahead and try and fix it.

Now, I know engines like the back of my hand being what I consider to be a decent engine builder of some fast Camaros in the past but I admit I dont know jack about trannies except how to put them in and take them out.

I want the car to be RIGHT, so my question is :
Is there a shortcut that they may be able to take to make it shift right temporarily for a couple of days? Reason is because Im going to pick the car up and take it for the weekend and drive it before I buy it and I plan on flogging the SOB to make sure its right.

Someone has already put a pillar pod gauge setup on it with 2 gauges. A, A/F ratio gauge that just flickers back and forth across the face of the gauge eraticly the entire time and trans temp gauge which to me is about as useful as a tampon. It also has a Borla cat back on it which is not loud at all so maybe they have the block off plate on that one pipe that you can change? Is the Borla system any good or not? Either way the cat is getting took off and some headers are going on it. Can someone tell me how to tell whhat axle ratio it has? If not can some of you with different ratio's tell me what rpm you are turning in 4th gear at say 60mph? Thanks alot in advance.

P.S. How expensive are these manual trannies to get worked on? I hear they are weak. I already know the rear end is a wuss.