Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car will lose...AND I will get a one second headstart

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My car will lose...AND I will get a one second headstart

I live in a neighborhood where there are nothing but Marines around me. That's fine I guess, I moved far from base to get away from work but so-be-it. My street has loud parties pretty much every weekend which is fine, like I said...all Marines. There is a common trend as well to have extra people, in the form of single guys, living at married couples homes. Barracks life wears people down and they'd rather throw their friends a couple of bucks a month to live out in town. One of these said single guys lives across from me and is not only underage, but quite a drinker. He's not a good drunk either for that matter, loud, obnoxious, will sleep with anybody/thing, underage and/or married means NOTHING to this guy. He has also seen over the past month that I have been having a little electrical problem with my car. Read about my misadventures here if interested: https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/191878-headlights-not.html I finally get the car up to par and get to go out to the track this past Thursday again. There I learn that there is a specialty weekend coming up. I go home and the following day (Fri) head over to my next door neighbor's house to inform her. Her husband is in Iraq, she is into the car thing and gets along well with my wife. I also let her know that my wife's birthday present will be getting delivered to her house so that I can keep the secret. Well lo and behold she is out on the front porch with Drunk Guy and being that it is Friday night, he is DRUNK. He is constantly over there like a barnacle and she doesn't have the heart to tell him to leave, but also does not allow him inside, therefore she is now captive most evenings on her porch. I get done telling her what I need to and he then shouts, 'Hey, not to be a dick or anything...but my car will beat you when I bring it up here.' Quick background, he has a older body style MR2 that he professes he is building the most awesome engine for. Did I mention that it is an older body style...not one of those '***** one's they got now', in his own words. This car is also in Florida right now and still needs to be trailered up via his truck sometime. I say that's great and keep walking back to my house. He then continues, 'I'll even give you a headstart, not much, just like a second, that way it's fair.' OK I think, I've seen races to the thousandths, a second can be HUGE. Now my car isn't fast, bone stock except the free mods, it has 100K miles on it and runs 13.6s pretty consistently out of an M6, I'm not overly upset. My neighbor is telling him to be quiet, her friend that is visiting is telling him to be quiet, and I keep walking away and just shout back, 'Sounds good, whenever you wanna head to the track just tell me.' He then mumbles some incoherent banter and then throws the fact that I am a few ranks higher into the fray. I continue home and let it go. That was until last night, I came back from getting some stuff from the store and drove my wife's Jeep. As I get out, of course Drunk Guy and my neighbor and her friend are all out on her porch, he slurs at me as I'm getting into my house by calling me by rank. What kinda crap is that? So now I figure OK, I won't chalk the offer and gap up to drunk stupidity, I will give him his race AND take the handicap. Don't really know the facts on older MR2 times and don't know what kind of super power added engine he has created, I just figure he's such an idiot it will grenade off the line. Anyone have numbers or ideas about this guy?
Old 08-25-2004, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

I'm not sure about what kind of numbers MR2s can make, but it's probably a safe bet that the guy either doesen't have an MR2 or it's a POS. Most times people that talk that much crap are compensating for something, I wont say for what, and don't know **** about cars. Either way he sounds like a douche. If he does get his car from Florida just get those mods done and rip him a new one. BTW I like my H&R springs a lot.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks, I like the H&R too it's what I had on the V6 and I couldn't have enjoyed the ride more. The greatest thing is that he is in the Motor Transportation job field...as a mechanic! I wonder what it will be like w/out the mods to my car...
Old 08-25-2004, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Make sure the little ba$tard isn't drunk when you race him.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

i've seen an 11 sec 1st gent MR2...but there's like only one or two of them and they're only in the magazines, lol.

the 2nd gen turbo MR2s can be made fast for a reasonable amount of money.....but it will creep close to buying a used Supra TT since those MR2's command a premium $.

but the supercharged MR2's are few and rare and are pretty much limited to that little stock supercharger and some Blitz pulleys..... unless there's a bigger one that i don't know of.

i'm sure you can swap in a custom turbo...but that takes talent in that little mid-mounted engine bay. changing the battery requires removing the intercooler.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ummmm, your a Marine?
if you are ,first lemme say thank you for your service to our country.
but, things may have changed since i was in but some underage punk private flap his gum like that at me and he would be in a PAIN LOCKER so fast his head would spin.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey MySStery:

The first Gen MR2's weren't very much to bragg about. Not to knock the Marine situation, but I figure with him being young, his rank is lower than CPL, so he prob cannot afford to mod it anywhere near as fast as your SS.

Go for the Race, @ a track, stomp his but!!!

Then give him a good chewin (away from the Track): Senior Marine to Lower Marine (considering you are a NCO or higher). Be sure to mention his drinking behavior and his current living situation and proceed to inform him that if his behavior continues, you will have no choice being senior to inform his commander.

James (U.S. ARMY!!!)
Old 08-25-2004, 04:10 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

I raced an MR2, it was a pretty quick little car.

The owner was quite upset my mostly stock Z28 handed him his ***.

He ran 12.8's with 1.8 60's.

He had a different turbo, water injection, and **** loads of money in it though.

Good times.

So you might need that full second head start.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

2nd gen MR2 turbos can be made hella fast. Think of their engines as a Supra engine with 2 cylinders lopped off in a car weighing (rough guesstimate) 2600lbs. This guy sounds like a dipshit so I wouldnt' sweat it, but big single turbo MR2s are nothing to pass off.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use to own a first gen mr2 and although it is a fun car, it's not a drag racer. The car was built for autocross.

They did make a twincharger kit for the supercharged 88-89 mr2. I've read an article in which one was pushing 400rwhp. With the MKI weight it puts it in the supercar realm.

These kits are very rare and no longer available. I believe the mkI n/a has about 112fwhp, but they only weigh about 2300lbs

I believe the sc'd mkI put out 150fwhp.

Next time he talks **** just walk over to your car turn the key and start it and say "Yeah, but can your car do that?"
Old 08-25-2004, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://shell.deru.com/~sgn1/AW11/AW11.htm

Here's a link to some specs
Old 08-25-2004, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't worry at all about him. I'm sure he's full of it. Those cars are like DSMs, you can make them fast...but they always have one problem or another. I didn't know you are a Marine, but thank you for serving us all.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
ummmm, your a Marine?
if you are ,first lemme say thank you for your service to our country.
but, things may have changed since i was in but some underage punk private flap his gum like that at me and he would be in a PAIN LOCKER so fast his head would spin.
Actually he's a Lance Corporal, and like I said I have to live here for a while (3 yrs) and I know he's doing one tour and out. Things have changed so much it would make you Also, it's my home I'm AWAY from work and I have a 9 y/o daughter. I just chalk it up to the whole, youth and rice burner mentality. With all that being said, with his salary there is no way he can possibly have the revenue for a near TT Supra cost of upgrades. In all reality, I think it has to do with jealousy and the fact he was trying to puff out his chest for my neighbor's friend. We shall see, I will keep you all informed. Same bat time, same bat channel.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

Next time he talks **** just walk over to your car turn the key and start it and say "Yeah, but can your car do that?"

I like that, and as I said earlier, his car is not only NOT here but also still is not put together. I guess I will see as time goes on what he is actually putting into the car.

As far as the military side the funniest part about the whole situation is that over the past month or so I have become the SACO (Substance Abuse Counseling Officer). What that boils down to is I deal with the drinkers, underage and DUI's, as well as the druggies.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

Sounds like your neighbor spends an awful lot of time with him.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

She's just too nice and won't tell him to F-off, all time is spent out on the porch...she won't let him in.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

the differance between a lance coolie and a private is 6 months
i just cant imagine the day a kid disrespects any NCO's rank...

**** when i was in 2/2 if a lance popped off at a NCO there would be SGTs and CPL's falling out of the sky to light his azz up.

but i do understand you wanting to keep the peace in your home area.
as for the neighbor....
everyone has a weekness, but from personal expirience...
a drunk younge jarhead+a married woman whos husband aint home + more then 1 hour = nothing good...
i just dont want it to ever be , your not home when he desides(or is drunk enough) that no is not a good answer.... its just a recipe for disaster....
even if i loved and trusted my wife , there is NO way i would tolerate any single drunk guys hangin around her...and when i got back i would be pissed at everyone involved and neighbors who didn't get involved....

but hey... thats just me....
Old 08-26-2004, 06:33 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like this woman lkes all the attention to me.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

you guys would love all the drama at fort hood....**** we joked around that they timed the deployment of 4th ID and 1st CAV so that they wouldn't be home at the same time....that way nobody would fight over who was bangin who's wife...LOL....**** is all wrong these days....my buddies are in the green zone right now(i got medically retired after a year of fighting it, cuz of epilepsy), and before i moved up to dallas two weeks ago I was lookin after my buddies wife, who is a major hottie. i was the only guy in the whole state my buddy trusted with her, lol. its too bad very few people keep up the honor anymore.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

OK this post wasn't supposed to be about wives, and as for TIG it takes 6 months from E1 to E2 then 9 months after that to E3. As for the next door neighbor, no, she is not into the extra attn. It is a rare thing for her to surface unless she is out on her porch smoking...which is when he walks across the street and talks her ear off for a while. My wife is far from interested in any young kid either, this guy is just barely 21, if that. She also is rather intimidating since she has more visible tats then most Marines and also played HS football and lifted weights. She since had a child and one bad marriage but managed to stay in the same football shape through college. She and I get along great and there is no doubt that I would fear more for a guy that would try anything with her. Now back to jackass, I told him I look forward to the day that we will get out on the track when his car is here. He pretended that he knew nothing of what I spoke, oh well I will wait til he's drunk and then record it.