New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

attention to f'n detail........

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 04:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down attention to f'n detail........

Here's a little story for you guys, maybe you'll look twice before you put a new oil filter on. So I change my oil last weekend, no biggie, fifteen minute job. Well, today I'm driving home and start seeing smoke behind me and the car on my six has his windshield wipers on, but it's not raining. So I pull right the hell over and find a massive leak around the oil pan and oil filter. So much oil I can't tell where the hell it's coming from. So I'm thinking the worst....threw a rod, blown seal, something that'll keep me off the road for awhile. Well, after some help from AAA(bastards took 3 hours), I clean up a little and find nothing out of the ordinary. So I take my brand new K&N short filter(1005 I think) off and find nothing wrong with it. O-ring was intact and not cracked. Now I look up in the oil filter resevoir(for lack of better term) and another O-ring falls on my cranium. Holy ****. My old oil filter O-ring was still on. I felt like a moron. So know I have an undercarriage full of oil, a rear bumper saturated with oil, a forehead with a perfect oil "O" on it, and a pissed off Nissan Altima on my hands. All because of attention to detail. Thought I'd share that with you guys. Keep on truckin'!
Old 08-26-2004, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Sorry to hear about it man. I once changed my oil in my old 80 camaro it was getting late/dark so I was in a rush because it was outside. I drained the oil and changed the filter. Then started putting in the oil and that time I bought some slick 50 for it when that stuff first came out it cost more. But anyways I did all that and when I got done I heard a streaming sound so I grabbed the flash light and looked underneath and damn I left the plug out. I felt so dumb. Live and learn I guess.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LAMO!!!!! i did the same thing but caught it before the car hit the streets. just remember its better that then one of the other things you had mentioned
Old 08-26-2004, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the heads up...

note to self: Check O-ring of replaced oil filter...
Old 08-26-2004, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't feel bad. I changed in my old 86 mr2 and not being able to actually see the filter I pinched a part of the wiring harness between the filter and block and took it for a drive. I made it two houses before stopping in my tracks and pushing it back.

Once you see an oil spray on the road under pressure looks like you see it all the time. I saw a streak just yesterday that looked fresh. It looks like he made it about two blocks.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:28 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I had a 69 BMW with one of those old-style cannister filters on it, where you replaced the filter element inside but kept the metal outer housing, which was retained by a long bolt that threaded through the center of it. We lived in an apartment complex at that time with underground parking (read: always dark). I decided to change my own oil down there to save a few bucks. Well, I got that outer housing on slightly cocked because I couldn't see well. The oil pressure light stayed on after I started the car and ran it. When I looked underneath, I could not believe the oil flood that I watched spreading out before my eyes. I can't remember how many bags of that clean-up gravel stuff I used ...
Old 08-27-2004, 12:02 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had to put a new clutch cable on my 4 wheeler one time and i left one of the mounting bolts on the crankcase out. the damn hole went all the way thru to the inside of the case!! i was cruising down the road and looked down to see my right foot gettin soaked!!! it was spurting out like someone cut an artery.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have heard of this in the past. I am so careful about this that I take the O ring off the old filter just to make sure it came off. I also wipe around where the oil filter goes so it is clean under there. Glad to hear you didn't mess anything up.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:02 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

LMAO!!!

Sorry to hear that happened to you, but damn thats funny.

Take that bad-boy to the car wash and wash the **** out of the under body.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:10 AM
Teching In

I have never had that happen to me ( Knock on wood ) here is a little hint when you pull the old filter off and ya set it down. Grab the new one use the residue from the ring of the old filter to lube up the new filter. Then you can always spot check as you are wiping. To make you feel better when a CV goes it is alot worse to clean up than oil guess what I did last weekend