Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the next step?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's the next step?

Hey guys, I am trying to buildup my 04 GTO M6. I've done some mods and am wondering what the next logical step should be in achieving some more HP.

Here is what I've done so far:

SLP Heads/Cam kit
SLP Maf
JBA shorties
Random tech Cats
Plugs/wires

I should have purchased LT's to begin with but that's what happens when your new to the LS1 community and don't use the search button. The JBA's put down another 10-12rwhp but nothing like I was expecting. So I've ordered the Steelworks LT's w/ cats, SLP power-flo exhaust and the pulley from ASP is on the way as well.

What should I do next that's going to make some good power. I know when you start getting up in the power you start making baby steps. Everything else on the car is stock. I figure with my newest round of bolt-ons listed I should break 400whp pretty easily. Give me some ideas!! I've searched and lurked the forum for 3 months now but I don't want to make another mistake in spending my hard earned money like I did with the JBA's!!
Old 09-06-2004, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Power wise you are pretty much out unless you do some Forced Induction if you are indeed getting some Long tubes.

Have you gotten your car tuned?

How is your suspension? IDK about the GTO's IRS, will it handle that much power?

Do you have an A4 or an M6? If an manual, a new shifter, clutch, and some gears would help. Auto could use a bigger stall etc.

Did you port your throttle body?

Just some food for thought. I would have thought you would make more power/torque with a H/C. Hopefully those LT's wil fix that

-Todd
Old 09-07-2004, 01:13 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hell i'd start over and dump everything, no offence but you went down the wrong road concerning mods

i'd look at what MTI and other vendors are doing with the new GTO and not SLP. Get a good induction sytem (not sure what they have on the gto), you already have an ls6 intake, junk the MAF, get a good catback, the SS Works headers look good, the ASP pulley is good as well.

as far as H/C are concerned i'd sell your SLP stuff and sit down and come up with the type of application your looking for and the research, research, research. If the SLP stuff for the GTO is anything like it is for the the fbody its over priced and under performing.

also like todd said if you have an a4 you need a new stall and for an m6 look into a new clutch.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, unfortunately tossing the H/C is not an option. I'll be sticking with the pulley and headers and exhaust for now. I see MTI has a TB for the GTO and that it's compatible with the LSX intake and it measures 75mm. However it's 400 bucks. Ouch. Any other TB's others are having good success with? From what I've read it's worth doing the FAST system but only in 90mm is where you'll see a larger gain.

FWIW I did get a great deal on the H/C package so I'm not that twisted about that.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:30 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what are you H/C specs and what tranny do you have?
Old 09-07-2004, 05:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here are the specs:
Heads:
LS6 heads 2.08/1.60
64cc chambers (10.7:1comp)
Camshaft Specs: Valve Lift Duration@.050
in: .576" 234º
ex: .571" 228º

My last dyno chart