Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny going out??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tranny going out??

hey guys have any of you been crussing on the highway, all of a suden droped gear and floored it only to hit the revlimiter when you had like 3k rpm's left to go and the car is going nowhere.??? this hapened to me a few times, i knew the car was in gear but it just woulnd't grab whats up whith that??
Old 02-06-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zamboxl
hey guys have any of you been crussing on the highway, all of a suden droped gear and floored it only to hit the revlimiter when you had like 3k rpm's left to go and the car is going nowhere.??? this hapened to me a few times, i knew the car was in gear but it just woulnd't grab whats up whith that??
Mine did the same thing except I have an automatic. I have no 3rd or 4th gear.

Here's what happened to me. I was on the freeway with cruise control on at 71-mph. My exit was about to come up, but I had a car next to me on the slow lane, so I decided to push in the gas pedal to advance into my exit. Well nothing happend, but the rpms started to jump to 4000-rpms and so I slowed down and cruised onto the exit. I had no fourth. 3rd gear was slipping but made it home. I got home put in some tranny fluid and after an hour later took it for a drive. While on the test drive 3rd went out and now I only have 1st and 2nd but still have reverse. My 3-4 clutch pak in my transmission got fried. Good luck with your transmission.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

o damnit, well this happend to me like twice this year, once like 8 month ago, and just today, and both times when i downshifted into fourth fast and then flored it. looks like a new heavy duty tranny might be the next mod, lol well after the noz that is
Old 02-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Are you a manual tranny ? If so your clutch might be slipping ...
Old 02-07-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tcarswell
Are you a manual tranny ? If so your clutch might be slipping ...
no i din't smell any burning clutch it just felt like the car was in neutral when i know the shifter was in 4 th i let of the gas and put it back in gear and walla.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would check the clutch and bellhousing, my bellhousing is cracked and when i romp on it, it does the same thing and with no clutch smell, the clutch is separating from the flywheel because its missing a bolt were its cracked. it drives fine otherwise.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i highly doubt it is a problem with your tranny...that sound like an automatic tranny going out...since yours is manual i would check the clutch...and bellhouseing