Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of intake 00 t/a

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What kind of intake 00 t/a

I what to know what kind of intake would work the best for a ls1 t/a. I saw the dual filter kind dont know the exact name but also what to know is water something to worry about. thanks
Old 03-08-2005, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

I would vote for a Lid, a Fast Toys Ram Air, and a plain old Fram Paper Filter.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the SLP lid for my 99 Hawk along with the Home Depot Fernco smooth bellows. It was definitely worth the money. The car is much more responsive than before and sounds better at WOT. I also did the free ram air mod where you cut away the plastic below the air filter. Didn't notice any gains from that, but the lid was noticeable. I know the K&N deal with the dual filters produces good power(Super Chevy dynoed a stock SS and gained 12 rear wheel with this I believe), but it is also expensive. I think any aftermarket lid will give you what you want at a bargain price. I'm pretty sure they all give somewhere in the ballpark of 10 rear wheel horse. Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

We'll go from front to back...

Any lid, and a filter. As far as the filters go, the only thing I have been told is to stay away from K&N's. A lid is a lid is a lid.

A CAI (cold air intake) such as the SSRA (super sucker ram air) the FTRA (fast toys ram air) the SLP CAI, any CAI, will also net you some good track gains. They're gains dont show on a dyno too well, mainly at the track. Some people do it, some people dont.

Mass air flow sensor is mostly modified after approximately 450hp is reached. Even then, some ignore it. They're expensive and a hit or miss. Some love them, some have horrible problems.

As far as the smooth bellows go, check out the Fernco plumbing thing from Home Depot, it's near identical to the bellows that sponsors sell. It's more of an appearance mod, it shows very little HP increase. Worth it if you wanna put in the effort or spend the extra cash for a "real" smooth bellow

Porting your throttle body is a pretty sweet mod. Jantzer makes a sweet one if you're sticking with your stock 78mm. Nick Williams and F.A.S.T. make 90mm versions for bigger intake manifolds.

There are a few options for the intake manifold itself. You can upgrade to the LS6 which outflows the LS1. Then there's LSX. It's popular because of it's construction and unique material, also because it comes in 78mm and 90mm. Then, theres the LS2. A few tweaks and conversions are needed to make it work, but its a sweet deal.

I think that about covers intake. Hope this helps bro.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

the intake withthe cones is the volant. i have it and really like it.
no water issues here.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

i have the K&N FIPK, which is similar to the Volant except with one oval type filter trimmed in carbon fiber. no water issues here either.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default good info

Originally Posted by 4mula
the intake withthe cones is the volant. i have it and really like it.
no water issues here.

Well thanks, yea that's it the volant with the dual canes it probably has the same hp increase but I just like the Dual look. Some show and more go.