No Headlights-need Help Asap

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 03:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No Headlights-need Help Asap

Need some help Guys,

Here is the problem:

Headlights up and on and the headlights went out (no lights,no highbeams only the foglights and the parking lights) while the voltage meter on the istrument panel goes up and down and I hear one of the relays (under the hood) goes nutts and something clicking under the dashboard, might be another relay.
If I switch to parking lights only, no voltage up and down no relay noise.
We checked the alternator it seems to be ok and working.

And the question is:
Is there a relay (I assume a light switch relay) what responsible for this?
If there's one where is it located? For sure it's not under the hood (drivers side two fuse boxes) and neither on the side of the dashboard (drivers side.)

Last edited by TheHun; 03-09-2005 at 04:26 AM.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont know of any "relays" for your lights, but i can help you trouble shoot this some...

first thing i would do is pull both lights out, then turn the switch on again... if the sound goes away its safe to assume one of your lights is faulty(may even have loose connection that is shorting to ground) do the same thing using the old lights only this time one at a time. to find which one it is.... replace.
if the trouble does not go away, then the lights are fine, quik things to check are.
connecters for your lights, if they have corroded over time much like battery connections it can cause all sorts of weird troubles... if they are nasty, then clean with a wire brush... if they are not then look to the fuses for the lights... if those are fine then the last part is the wiring to the lights. if you have a multi-meter look for ohms or presence of a ground... make sure for cleaning wires and checking for ohms and ground that you disconnect the battery...

let us know what ya find....
good luck
Old 03-09-2005, 04:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
i dont know of any "relays" for your lights, but i can help you trouble shoot this some...

first thing i would do is pull both lights out, then turn the switch on again... if the sound goes away its safe to assume one of your lights is faulty(may even have loose connection that is shorting to ground) do the same thing using the old lights only this time one at a time. to find which one it is.... replace.
if the trouble does not go away, then the lights are fine, quik things to check are.
connecters for your lights, if they have corroded over time much like battery connections it can cause all sorts of weird troubles... if they are nasty, then clean with a wire brush... if they are not then look to the fuses for the lights... if those are fine then the last part is the wiring to the lights. if you have a multi-meter look for ohms or presence of a ground... make sure for cleaning wires and checking for ohms and ground that you disconnect the battery...

let us know what ya find....
good luck

Well later on after checking they worked "fine" as they supposed to. So the bulbs are ok. Then it started again.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it sounds like (IMHO) like your looking for a frayed wire or a gummed up connecter... both have this nasty way of comming and going... a fuse blown is always blown... so hey head up, you eliminated 3 possable troubles...(both lights and fuse)