Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

salvage or high mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 01:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question salvage or high mileage

ok so first post and planning on getting a t/a.
sorry gonna be kinda long here

my goals are a m6, 375rwhp daily driver, new complete paint,wheels,body kit,hood and a car with no more than 10,000 miles, looking to do all this for around $20-25K

as far as perform mods:exhaust,cams,airlid,gears,headers,ls6 intake,tune, some suspension and maybe a few more if needed

so the whole point of this post is should i go for a high mileage car (100k+) or a salvage car??????
not worried about titling salvage and would not plan on selling car ever...and if high mileage=new motor, should i go with a rebuild or a brand new one???
also with high mileage what else would need to be replaced?
also anyone know where to get a salvage car in the southeast,searched all over web and found lots of sites but no t/a's??
almost everything done to car would need to be taken to shop as my skills and tools arent adequate

any help would be greatly appreciated before i blow a whole lot of money on the wrong thing
Old 03-25-2005, 01:57 AM
Launching!

Just buy a built car! Ull save money...

Just my 02 cents!
Old 03-25-2005, 02:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Agreed. A built car will be already done for you. It will be like buying all the parts at half price, and already installed for you!

Heck, you should buy my car for $16500 its a camaro but with the kit and custom hood it looks like a TA. All you'd need to do would be a cam and internals.

Last edited by lrk322; 03-25-2005 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lrk322
Agreed. A built car will be already done for you. It will be like buying all the parts at half price, and already installed for you!

Heck, you should buy my car for $16500 its a camaro but with the kit and custom hood it looks like a TA. All you'd need to do would be a cam and internals.
He'd also need to do a transmision swap as he wanted an m6.

Originally Posted by JeremyML
almost everything done to car would need to be taken to shop as my skills and tools arent adequate
you said your tools aren't adequate.

You can find ls1's with high miles going for cheap, buy one and build it up as these engines run strong no matter the miles ( for the most part ). I wouldn't recomend a salvage car at all, not a good choice. All in all good luck, it won't take much to hit 375hp, you could buy a TA for 8-10k and then just slap on a procharger and there you go ( supporting mods are recomended ).
Old 03-28-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If u just want 375 u won't have to do much to get that at all so the price would be about right. You could find a decent car probably for 15000 on autotrader.com with around 50k miles and that would leave you 5 to 10 for the build up.