New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 intake swap a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 05:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 intake swap a few questions.

Is this something I can do by my self? How long should it take? I had someone do my plugs and wires. I did not think I could do them. Is the intake swap harder then the plugs and wires or easier? Whats the average RWHP gain and torque to the wheels with the swap? Thank you.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you didnt think you could do a plug change you should probably find someone to do an intake swap for you or atleast have someone there who has done it before to watch you.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:55 AM
12 Second Club

i see your in ohio!!! if you were a little closer i'd give you hand putting it on..the intake swap can be a bitch if its your first time putting one on..
Old 04-22-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Like they said, if you can't do a plug and wire change, I wouldn't even think about doing a intake change..
Old 04-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

I was afraid I would not be able to. I better not chance it. Thanks Chris2000ss for the ofter to help me.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

i think you could pick up like 15 horses at the motor...maybe 10 at the wheels...but ive heard it can make your top end awesome---well a lot better. you might want to consider doing a throttle body at the same time too

Last edited by 98SuperSport; 04-22-2005 at 04:31 PM. Reason: want to add something
Old 04-22-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by PontiacTA99
Is this something I can do by my self? How long should it take? I had someone do my plugs and wires. I did not think I could do them. Is the intake swap harder then the plugs and wires or easier? Whats the average RWHP gain and torque to the wheels with the swap? Thank you.
The gain is around 12-15 horses,your mechanical ability is the deciding factory(also your fear factor ) There are several great write ups on this swap and it really is not that difficult if you have access to the correct tools etc. I service cars for a living and do a bunch of installs for local guys(check out the Southern section) and could do one from start to finish in 45 minutes....now if you want to work on your own car I applaud you and hope to incourage you and will tell you that this in not that difficult if you have faith in your ability YOU can do this just take your time(if its not your DD) and enjoy working on your own car...you will get the warm & fuzzies after your done. good luck
Old 04-22-2005, 10:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the swap isnt hard(but neither is a plug/wire swap) you just need to build up your confidence. i had my headers & stall installed for me because i was "scared" since then i have done 2 cam/spring swaps, 3 intake swaps, 1 head swap. I helped on a gear swap(it didnt turn out very good, i recomend having an experianced tech do that)

if you want to try it then print off the LS1howto.com guide to intake swaps and follow it step by step. you might want to have a replacement oil pressure sending unit on hand i broke mine off and i hear that is a very comin thing to do.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:03 AM
Launching!

I was nervous about swapping the intake my first time as well. But I've done it 3 or 4 times now. Just take your time and read the directions. It'll also give you more confidence for working on other things on your car. It's like sex, the more you do it the better you become, and the less time it takes you.... wait a sec...
Old 04-24-2005, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Woody99
It's like sex, the more you do it the better you become, and the less time it takes you.... wait a sec...

I had my intake off last weekend - took me hours upon hours. Since it was my first time doing anything serious to this car, I took a bunch of digital pictures each step of the way and used a pencil and paper to make notes, and printed off several different threads, tips, and How To guides from the internet and had it all with me while I did the work, along with my Haynes manual.

Before you start, though, make sure you have ALL the CORRECT tools to get the job done. If you have to, test fit the tools you have. If you can't get a good grip on a fastener, go buy the right tool BEFORE you start taking things apart. This tip alone can truly save HOURS. Like the gear wrenches for getting at the rear bolts - HUGE time saver!

One thing about the intake - it's plastic. The heads are aluminum. USE A TORQUE WRENCH and follow the guides. When you thread the bolts in, do it GENTLY - if you feel them binding in the first couple turns, take them out and thread them in again. If you force them in you will destroy the threads and you will have to pull your heads off. When they go in, if you tighten them too much you will crack your intake and you may destroy the threads in the head.

Keep in mind that you'll never really learn how to work on a car until you start working on a car. Your first successful job will feel like a hole in one.

Give it a shot, dude!
Old 04-24-2005, 07:38 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Iam in the process of doing mine right now, its not hard, just time consuming. I have three hours in it right now, I got to finish it up tommarow so it should take me another hour or so. This is coming from someone who has had no previous experiance working on cars before I bought mine. So go for it, if I can do it you can for sure. Oh, dont be scared to install stuff either, because at first I was. But I have not started something that I could not finish. So do it man!
Old 04-24-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just a question how much is an ls6 intake?
Old 04-25-2005, 12:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c0ncEpT
Just a question how much is an ls6 intake?
the going rate seems to be around $300 for a used one. some pay more, some pay less. I was able to find mine local and got it for $250