Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire rod replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire rod replacement?

Im looking into buying a 99 SS, and was told that the only thing it needs is a tire rod replacement, isnt much of a big deal, just something that GM's need to have done.

Now, I'm going to go ahead and put down my security shield and say, I have no idea what the hell a tire rod is, does, or what it costs to replace one, can some one help me out?
Old 05-07-2005, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Tie rod or tie rod end? It's usually the ends that go bad. The tie rod (with the ends on either end) connect the steering knuckles together so both front wheels steer the same. Fairly cheap. I've never done them but I don't think they're terribly difficult either.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Banned

He said tire rod, so does anyone know what it would cost to replace the tire rod and both ends (may as well plan on the most expensive, right? )
Old 05-07-2005, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

there is no such thing as a "tire rod", you misheard him, he said "tie rod" and its not something that GM's "need" to have done, they go bad on all cars after time and wear, wether its a Honda or a Porshe

anyways, very easy to replace one, but your alignment will be affected, so after you change it, take the car in to get the alignment corrected
Old 05-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Banned

alright, thanks guys.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LiquidFire350
there is no such thing as a "tire rod", you misheard him, he said "tie rod" and its not something that GM's "need" to have done, they go bad on all cars after time and wear, wether its a Honda or a Porshe

anyways, very easy to replace one, but your alignment will be affected, so after you change it, take the car in to get the alignment corrected
On solid axle vehicle there is a tie rod, no? What is the rod that goes between the two tie rod ends? I always assumed that was a tie rod.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RyPkr_99
On solid axle vehicle there is a tie rod, no? What is the rod that goes between the two tie rod ends? I always assumed that was a tie rod.
wow.... what, ok here goes and it doesnt matter if its solid axle, IRS, or even FWD

tie rod ends (inner and outer) are part of the steering system, it connects the rack and pinion to the steering knuckle

both inner and outers have joints that wear and become loose, this is why they need to be replaced, and you adjust the outer TRE on the inner, this is why if it is not perfectly back where the old one was when it came off, the alignment will be off, 99.9999% of the time you will NOT get it back where the old one was

Last edited by LiquidFire350; 05-07-2005 at 11:00 PM.