Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Z28 plans

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Z28 plans

Firstly sorry If misplaced but seemed logical to me.

I love my car and its stock I want more outta her but could enjoy her bone stock forever. I just like to tinker.

This car is will be my Daily Driver so being cozy and not eating gas will be factored in. I was thinking all the "weak links" being fixed could really make this car near perfect DD. I am quite aware i'd be spending a ton and not gettting same kinda power if I was to aim for a single goal.

I would like if someone could help steer a few planned mods list if its 100% pointless over kill going to mess my goal up etc. This is a rough idea I hope you can kinda see the theme and go easy on my ideas and point me in the right diretion if i'm wayyy off.

Car in question is a 99 Z28 M6 black Ttops.

SFCs -UMI 3point weld in.
Lid- MTI clear *I know lids a lid but it looks nifty so I want this one*
SLP LS6 intake mani *can keep my EGR and pass smog*
BMR- adjustable panhard bar and relocate kit
BMR- adjustable control arms
C/F Driveshaft. Over kill but frees up power bling and would never die.
C/F hood *painted to match just like shaving weight*
Corvette Brake swap
Hurst shifter and ****
Smog legal True Duals with a CME
Kooks or QTP headers
BMR K member * do I want mounts?*
Upgraded speakers
Sat radio
Music Keg

Thats my rough plan If you could give me some feed back would be great.
With this setup I think I'd handle alot better be a bit quicker cozier and keep if not gain MPG.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Junkie

there is a great stickey at the top here that you should read. it will answer most of your questions. not trying to be a dick, but there is a lot of stuff.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I understand I did read the Stickies great help laid out what the parts do and whats worth getting but as far as whats worth while on what level I still was a little vauge.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW I wouldn't do the K member, have heard several stories of them having failures on daily driven cars (K member is more for racing, than street)
Go with the QTP headers, seems like Kooks is having some fitment problems (there's couple of threads about it, hit the friendly search button to find it/them)
True duals will never be considered smog legal even with cats, for that matter LTs aren't either, as they move the location of the cats from stock (best you can hope for is either no inspections, OBD2 only, or have a friend who will "overlook" certain items)
What I've done so far/am planning on doing is pretty similar to your list, and mine is a DD
So far I have:
UMI 3 point SFCs (this has made the biggest SOTP difference so far)
Stock Hurst with UMI short stick, and Hurst cue ball **** (that for me is the perfect combo for feel and function, haven't missed 3rd since I got those items installed)
Pacesetter headers, and ory (with the current cat back, TSP rumbler, the cars pretty damn loud now especially at WOT but so far no one has complained or ticketed me, so I'll leave it alone)
Sat radio (one of the best mods I've done, so much better than regular FM especially here with all the redneck cry in your beer country stations)
The CF hood and DS are IMO way overkill, but if you have the $$$ go for it, I'd like to, but just can't justify the cash outlay, a better use of the money might be a new rear (9inch or 12 bolt) as the 6 speed cars can kill the stock rear, even at the stock power levels
BMR control arms, again I just can't justify the price, I'd rather do swaybars and some springs/shocks, to get the handling better, look for posts by sam straino, and follow his advice, he knows his **** when it comes to getting f bodys to handle well
Brake swap, good idea don't know how much better than stock they are, but if you want to try some brembo blanks and some hawks pads they seem to be quite popular as an alternative upgrade
Upgrading the speakers can be a PITA due to the stock being 2 ohn and the rest of the aftermarket being 4 ohm, can lead to the different speakers sounding like crap, you might want to add an amp to replace the monsoon amp so you can use the aftermarket speakers, browse the stereo and electronics forum for more specific answers
Use the search button, and there's a wealth of info on here to answer most any question you could have, good luck and have fun
Old 12-02-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a good plan. On the K-member you want mounts. Solid mounts will send vibrations through the car. On the LCA's and panhard look at UMI's when you get your SFC's. I have them, they are a great piece(mine are non adjustable), Cheaper than BMR's. good luck