New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

started it up today, surging idle....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 03:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default started it up today, surging idle....

I have had my car in storage for the past 2 months, it is a 98 T/A, and i had the brake calipers of repainting them, so when i put the brakes back on tonight, and bled them, i wanted to take the car for a spin to make sure the brakes were working alright. first the battery was completely dead and then once i started it off of a jump, the idle, was acting funny, it would sit at about 600rpm, and then rise up to 1200rpm, then fall back down. it just kept repeating this. the car has never done this before, i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas, is it just because it has been sitting for so long?
Old 02-04-2006, 04:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try to run it down the road for a little while and see what it does. If it doesnt help try pulling the pcm fuse to reset the computer. Thats all i can think of. good luck....
Old 02-04-2006, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah mine does that alot, Seems like it was only after I got a tune. Mine sits alot also.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:19 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
I have had my car in storage for the past 2 months, it is a 98 T/A, and i had the brake calipers of repainting them, so when i put the brakes back on tonight, and bled them, i wanted to take the car for a spin to make sure the brakes were working alright. first the battery was completely dead and then once i started it off of a jump, the idle, was acting funny, it would sit at about 600rpm, and then rise up to 1200rpm, then fall back down. it just kept repeating this. the car has never done this before, i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas, is it just because it has been sitting for so long?
In your case, it's not from sitting, it's because the battery was dead. It needs an idle relearn. There is a formal procedure, but it's really not necessary. The idle will relearn with a few miles of driving, some idle time, and a couple restarts.

Formal Procedure is:

Let motor fully warm up (176*F+).
Let car idle in gear for 5 mins.
Turn on A/C and let it idle for 5 mins.
Shift into park and let it idle for 5 mins.
Turn off the A/C and let it idle for 5 mins.
Turn off motor for 15 seconds.

When you restart everything should be fine.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey thanks! I was thinking it could possibly be the battery but wasnt sure..... ill just let it relearn on it's own, it's going in for a tune here at the end of the month when i get my longtubes and true duals on anyway.

Quick Reply: started it up today, surging idle....