Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasoline?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasoline?

what grade of gas should i be using in my 2002 ls1 camaro? some people have told me to go with premium, but others say premium is not worth the money. what should i go with?
Josh
Old 02-09-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For sure do not put anything in it less than 91. If it is available to you, 93 octane is preferable. I know a guy around here who keeps putting in 87 or 89 octane because he doesn't want to spend the extra money, but his car runs like crap. He loses a lot of power, and I bet he is pinging like crazy. It is definately worth the money for at least 91, even more so for 93.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

read the gas door. it says premium fuel only. chevy doesnt get the money for gas, so its not for ***** and giggles. its because thats what it needs. and why does everyone gripe over premium gasoline. you fill up and put what, 12-13 gallons in usually? thats an extra twenty cents per gallon. at the end of the day thats between an extra 2.40 and 2.60. really, thats half of eating out 1 fast food meal...its nothing, so put the premium in, its worth it.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,279 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Swang
read the gas door. it says premium fuel only. chevy doesnt get the money for gas, so its not for ***** and giggles. its because thats what it needs. and why does everyone gripe over premium gasoline. you fill up and put what, 12-13 gallons in usually? thats an extra twenty cents per gallon. at the end of the day thats between an extra 2.40 and 2.60. really, thats half of eating out 1 fast food meal...its nothing, so put the premium in, its worth it.

You and I are on the same page.

For the life of me, I can't understand why people buy a performance based car like an LS1 F-body and then question/complain about having to use premium. Been a few of these threads lately.

And to answer the original poster's question, yes, premium is the grade you should be using, should be 91-93 octane depending on your area.

PS. Anyone still able to get 94 octane at regular local gas stations? If so, what area do you live in? Just curious......
Old 02-09-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you fill up and put what, 12-13 gallons in usually? thats an extra twenty cents per gallon. at the end of the day thats between an extra 2.40 and 2.60. really, thats half of eating out 1 fast food meal...its nothing, so put the premium in, its worth it.
I want to slap people who put in crap gas just to save a couple of dollars.

I don't think there is 94 anywhere close to me at all. I used to be able to get 93 at one station, and they just went down to 91. It sucks, and I don't know where else carries 93.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

I just had this conversation with some idiot standing at the pump the other day. He asked me if I really put the "good stuff" in and I just kinda laughed at him at first because I figured he wasnt serious and then he went on to some spool about saving money and I layed the math out for him that at most he would save less than 3 dollars. Some people just cant help but be stupid...
Old 02-09-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Use Premium. If you use 1 full tank a week and its only like 20 cents more for premuim it comes out to something like $100 more a year... Ill send that $100 for my car to run twice as good/strong... Its your car do what you want
Old 02-09-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by c0ncEpT
Use Premium. If you use 1 full tank a week and its only like 20 cents more for premuim it comes out to something like $100 more a year... Ill send that $100 for my car to run twice as good/strong... Its your car do what you want
That's really all that needs to be said.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what your owner's manual says:
"If your vehicle has the 5.7L V8 engine (VIN code G), use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of 91 or higher for best performance (emphasis mine). You may also use middle grade or regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but your vechicle's acceleration may be slightly reduced. If the octane is less than 87 (emphasis mine), you may get a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If it is bad enough, it can damage your engine."

Two pages later it says about ethanol:
"Gasolines containing oxygenates, such as ethers and ethanol, and reformulated gasolines may be available in your area to contribute to clean air. General Motors recommends that you use these gasolines, particulularly if they comply with the specifications described earlier."

It is perfectly acceptable to use less than premium grade fuel per GM. That other people don't understand why you would want to use it is not relevant to the question of whether it can be done with no damage. Do what you please.

I've used 10% ethanol and hadn't noticed any appreciable differences. I won't bother with regular fuel just because I don't need to. But, if I get short of funds and have to use it for a while I won't commit Hari-Kari or anything.

Make your own choice.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Teching In

ok, thats what i thought. i am definately gonna use premium.
thanks,
Josh

Quick Reply: Gasoline?