Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Cars

I’m new to car mods… I’m a computer mod “expert” (so I have a good understanding about airflow in and out and the effects of that on stationary electronics, haha) and a HMMWV (military, not Hummer) mod guy, but I’m a NewB when it comes to cars. I have my basic plans below. I’m very open to criticism and all that fun stuff. I’d also like to know what steps you all have taken and what performance you’ve obtained. Hope this isn’t an annoying thread that every new guy does.

Stock 1998 Convertible Trans Am, Automatic (non WS.6) Light Red, Black Top, Black Leather, Power Seats, 12 Disk changer, etc.

Plans…
Phase 1 (<12 Months):
Stereo swap from my ’89 Grand Prix DEH-P4700MP (may swap out speakers too, I’ll see how everything sounds first, if it ain’t broke, why break it?) [Free]
Pre-fitted 12” Sub box for trunk (have subs) [$50-150]
800-1000 watt amp (with amp kit) [~$220]
Sub-frame Supports (convertible, need I say more?) [$150-180]
Functional Ram Air Hood package 5 (probably K&N filter while I’m at it) (or possibly SLP Ram air H.O. hood… does anyone have the numbers for air intake compression vs. velocity – lost aerodynamics? Or am I over thinking it just a little too much?) [$1135]
WS.7 Emblems (ok, so I’m lame or envious) [$?]
Possible roll bar (safety first, kinda) [~$1000? Installed]

Phase 2 (6 Months to 18 Months):
Shift kit (suggestions?) [$?]
12 bolt rear main? Gears? (3:73, 4:10…?) [probably too much $]
New Cam? (don’t know what kind, still learning) [$?]

Phase 3 (12 Months to 24 Months)
AFR LS1 Mongoose Street Head (Steel on Alum. Block… good? Bad? Waste of $? Is there a comp. set for less $? Will this get in the way of a supercharger?) [$2500 ouchy]
Supercharger (forgot brand, saw one in a magazine that adds about 150hp and it was ½ v-tech price) [$2500-3000]
Exhaust (most seem to like flowmaster, but I don’t know what to go with)
I know I will probably need to up all the suspension, but I don’t even want to pretend to know what I’m talking about there. Any and all suggestions accepted.

I don’t have a limit to how much I want to spend, but I don’t want to have to rob a bank to tune this thing up. I’d like 8sec ¼ but I don’t see that happening legally (I mean street legally, I think NC horsepower limit for legality is 600 or 650). I guess I’m doing this to show off the size of my…… ego. Lol j/k (I’ve wanted a TA since I was 4) I haven’t had time to read every single forum to get a more educated idea of what I want, so don’t crucify me! ;p

I'm gonna need another job to support my habits!
Old 03-12-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

congrats on the car. sounds like a nice ride. id definitely pass on the flowmaster exhaust...they dont flow any better than stock but sond really good. id only get a flowmaster if you get an electric cutout too. your ideas seem pretty rational. good luck with it and welcome
Old 03-13-2006, 06:12 AM
Teching In

Too bad I can't straight pipe... won't pass emissions and it'll probably throw SES.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The subframe conectors are a verry good investment. For the exhaust get some thing other than the flowmaster. Check out the hooker of magnaflow. Since you have a 98 and you want to add head and a cam you'll want to pic up a ls6 intake mainifold, you'll also want to invest in a set of headers. The 12bolt is also a great idea. Here is some reading materal for you.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139142
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/213148-jrp-s-faq-commonly-asked-questions.html