New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very Close to Purchasing Formula...Want some info...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Close to Purchasing Formula...Want some info...

hey guys im really close to purchasing either a 94 or 95 formula (LT1). The 94 is black/auto/t-tops and the guy switched out the tan cloth interior for a new black/ebony leather interior. It has 82k miles, all stock except for newer WS6 wheels.

The 95 Formula has the ram air1 hood, 72k miles, and is that teal or aqua color, auto/t-tops. It has grey cloth interior.

Im going to actually test drive the 95 tommorow, but i dont know too much about the 4th gen platform (im a 3rd gen guy). I mean how reliable are the Lt-1s as you near 100k miles, what stuff generally needs to be replaced??

Also, the 95 formula had a new or rebuilt transmission done when it was traded in (its at a new pontiac dealer-guy traded it in for a GTO). I mean did that mean that he beat the **** outta the car, or is it possible the transmission just had problems from the factory?
Old 06-17-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

LT1s are great motors. there are a few things that tend to go wrong with them.
1. Optispark(distributor) - have fun with these
2. Dont know if its common, but on my old LT1 the waterpump went bad at 68,000, and dripped right on to the optispark.
3. sparkplugs and wires are a pain to change
ill sure there are some things im missing, but im tired and cant think to well right now lol

As for the trans being rebuilt/replaced, its really hard to tell whether its been beaten to death or not. for example my buddies dads LT1 has 115 K and absolutly no problems with the trans, but the car is driven very softly. my brother-in-law has 110 K
on his trans, no problems yet, and he beats the hell out of it. then you have my old Lt1 with 66,000 miles and you need a rebuild, and i wasnt tooooo tough on it. (all were Autos)

If it was me, i would stay away from the '95 because its been rebuilt, and he probably has beaten it up quite a bit. but on the other hand, if the car runs great, and the guy has receipts for the rebuilt/replacement, then its something you dont have to worry about for a while. but like i said if it was me id go with the '94, just beccause if you plan to make some real power, you gunna need a stronger trans anyway. just my .02
Old 06-17-2006, 01:14 AM
10 Second Club

ive had 4 lt1 cars, one is in my driveway next to my ls1 formula and it has 200k on it and i beat it to death. the last one i put nitrous on at 125k and ran about 2 bottles a week through it and it held up like a champ, car is procharged now with the new owner. around 155k i think. both were 6 speed cars. only problems i have ever had with them is the opti and of course the weak *** rearends.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The LT1 is a small block 350...it's reliable.

The Opti-Spark can be troublesome as mentioned above, still a maintenance issue. Other issues are the same as they are on all older F-bodies, or used cars...brakes, fluids, paint, tires, hoses, belts, battery, suspension components, etc...

As for the tranny on the '95, who knows? Maybe it was bad luck, maybe the guy beat on the car, maybe he never flushed the tranny fluid...go drive/look at it and see what you think....just be sure to give both a chance before you buy.

Personally...that Teal would be a deal breaker for me
Old 06-17-2006, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

the 95 is actually the wierd color "blue green chameleon". Its pretty crazy because in some lights it looks green, in others blue. Ive never seen one of those in person before...any idea if the colors rare or not?