New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do about car registration?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What to do about car registration?

OK I've got quite a delimma here... my brother bought this camaro a few months ago and decided he didn't want it anymore, so he's selling it to me... appearently when he bought it the loan company put it under a "refinance" instead of a used car loan, so they did not register the car and pay the state sales taxes for him. now that he is trying to sell it, they say he has to register it in his name, pay taxes, then he can sell it to me. my question is, he owes 8K on it, which is how much he bought it for, and how much i am going to buy it for, would it be possible to make up a bill of sale that said he bought it for less than that, so that he won't have to pay so much taxes? I don't mind paying the full taxes, but there's no point in him paying 800 bucks in taxes, then me paying 800 bucks in taxes 1 week later. would that be possible, or can the DMV tell how much you owe on it, or mysteriously tell how much you paid for it w/out looking at the bill of sale?
Old 06-23-2006, 08:41 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, just put the real price if you went through a loan. if you bought it cash from some guy down the street, make up a price, but buying through a dealership and getting a loan and trying to change the price, you're opening up a whole new can of worms. you can get in trouble for that and honestly, is $150 really worth risking fraud charges?
Old 06-23-2006, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im sure all state are diff but in KY you can put whatever amount you want to on there if its not already marked. They will just make you sigh a aftadavid or whatever its called to say ur telling the truth. Ive done it a few times... just dont make it too low or they will reject it.