Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here we go again...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here we go again...

So as some of you may know I've been looking for f-bodies for quite some time now, and am starting to think about getting an LT1, for money reasons. Around here, I've been looking for over a year, and nothing in good condition really popped up that I can afford. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough, but oh well.

I found a nice '97 Formula. Now, the f-body will be a daily driver, so I was wondering about gas mileage. I know the LS1 cars get pretty friggin' nice mileage considering their power output. Are LT1s the same way? Really, I can live with the power of both, because I don't plan on modding it much anyways, and coming from a 3.0L Ranger... everything is "fast".

I do have a an LS1 lined up, though. So it comes to $11,900 or $7,500?
Old 07-27-2006, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

both of these vehicles are nice cars and get decent gas mileage for what they are but whatever you decide just make sure you give it the basic tune up plugs, wires, filter, fuel filter, and from there it will depend on how much of a led foot you carry so i would say only you can tell your car around how many miles to the tank it will see

i get between 200 and 250 per tank with 3.73's, slp lt's, msd 8.5's, ngk tr55's, sccra, flowmaster catback (hey hey take it easy guys i got it for reallllllllly cheap and i like the sound) and all the free mods and i drive like a maniac sometimes
Old 07-27-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

What mileage does that come out to be? I won't mod it much more than full exhaust (it has the ram air package, by the way). The LT1 has about 80,000 miles on it. He says that the transmission was rebuilt about a year ago. Not sure why he needed that (the T56 seems to be pretty tough).

I usually drive fairly conservatively (especially during the late summer monsoon season...). I do like to open my cars up sometimes, though.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:59 AM
TECH Resident

I usually drive fairly conservatively (especially during the late summer monsoon season...). I do like to open my cars up sometimes, though.
How can you say you drive conservatively? Have you ever daily driven an f-body before? No offense- but I thought the same thing. Then theres the temptation of all that power underfoot. I just cant say no to it sometimes. But now, I know what my limits are. Even with my faily heavy foot, I average 20mpg, thats with 4.10s and a bunch of highway driving.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:11 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

even though the LT1 i think is rated for the same or 1 mpg more on the EPA's site (i think), you'll likely see better mileage with the LS1. the LS1 requires you to rev higher to get in the powerband so you're not gonna get bad mileage daily driving unless you're running it to 4 grand into the powerband. an LT1's powerband happens sooner so it's much easier to get the motor working hard daily driving it which means more fuel will be used. on the upside, LT1's generally sound better.

you're gonna get more speed with an LS1 but more sound with an LT1 in a relatively stock car. LS1 will beat gas mileage. i'd pick the LS1 simply because i love my car and there's an enormous aftermarket for it. that and since it's a few years newer it will LIKELY go problem-free longer. drive both and get whatever makes ya happy, man. FWIW, i get 21-22 mpg (we'll say 21.5 mpg for the sake of simplicity) to a tank with a pretty crappy, hour long mostly stop-and-go commute. that equates to ~344 miles per a tank of gas (16 gallon gas tank). i have an A4 w/2.73's so that helps my fuel situation. i'll be adding a ram air kit and ported tb between now and christmas too so my mpg will go up a little from that too plus i'll be done my internship so i won't have to make this bad commute anymore
Old 07-28-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Specialized
How can you say you drive conservatively? Have you ever daily driven an f-body before? No offense- but I thought the same thing. Then theres the temptation of all that power underfoot. I just cant say no to it sometimes. But now, I know what my limits are. Even with my faily heavy foot, I average 20mpg, thats with 4.10s and a bunch of highway driving.
I've driven Corvettes, F-bodies, Mustangs, etc. A lot of power is fun, but I dont' get on it all the time all over the place.